Proms 2011 - advance info on concerts

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not heard it live since June, having withdrawls haha

Sure i'll make up for it, twice on the same night in Birmingham and also at Covent Garden later in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
      What's been sussed out about the First Night?
      "I think most of us are acting on the assumption that the First Night is Mahler 2 ..."

Comment

There was a rumour that the Mahler 2 would be with Abbado but the work is not being played at the Lucerne Festival this year...

Talking of Lucerne I see that the Berlin and Vienna PO are performing along with the Israal PO, Chicago SO, Concergebouw and the Berlin and Dresden Staatskappellen so I would imagine some of those bands will be at the Proms and/or Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by NickWraight View Post

Talking of Lucerne I see that the Berlin and Vienna PO are performing along with the Israal PO, Chicago SO, Concergebouw and the Berlin and Dresden Staatskappellen so I would imagine some of those bands will be at the Proms and/or Edinburgh.
          With probably most of them playing Mahler or well worn repetoire I just wish these orchestras when they tour would do something just a little out of the ordinary and surprising, now that I would pay money to hear!

Comment

Hear, hear, Nick!

Comment

Perhaps its the case of getting bums onseats?
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Perhaps its the case of getting bums onseats?
                Well maybe, but that argument is holed below the waterline, so to speak, by such examples as last year's Bartok/Mozart/Haydn Prom, which saw a near full house on a Sunday night for a programme containing B's Cantata Profana - possibly the biggest audience this piece will ever get. It's possibly more a case of the various festivals requiring nothing too scary and the Proms having to line up with that.

Comment

The CBSO Orchestra and Chorus are performing Prokoviev's Cantata Alexander Nevsky, sorry no date.

Comment

Originally posted by NickWraight View Post
                    The CBSO Orchestra and Chorus are performing Prokoviev's Cantata Alexander Nevsky, sorry no date.

Really? Now that be worth seeing!!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Well, in the arena up close, no matter how many times you've heard it, the sheer physical energy and excitement of Le Sacre is still infectious IMO.

Comment

Having just decided that attendance at the 2011 Lucerne Summer Festival will require remortgaging a house, I see that Bernard Haitink and the COE are in the programme performing a Brahms symphony cycle in conjunction with the BBC Proms so I assume that will feature in the RAH at about 20% of the Lucerne price.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          I see that Bernard Haitink and the COE are in the programme performing a Brahms symphony cycle in conjunction with the BBC Proms....
                          Following on HD's post, from the Lucerne Festival program pdf:

The two programs with "Uncle Bernie" leading the COE are:

8/23/2011, Lucerne (Hanno Müller-Brachman, soloist):
                          Brahms: Academic Festival Overture
                          Schubert (orchestrated by Brahms):
                          (a) "Memnon"
                          (b) "Geheimes"
                          (c) "An Schwager Kronos"
                          Brahms: Symphony No. 3

8/25/2011, Lucerne:
                          All-Brahms:
                          (1) Tragic Overture
                          (2) Variations on the St. Anthony Chorale ("Variations on a Theme by Haydn")
                          (3) Symphony No. 4

My guess is that they'll be at the Proms the week after that.

It was interesting to note the presence of the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on the Lucerne Festival schedule. I hope that both ensembles have been scheduled for The Proms, particularly Philadelphia, given all its financial troubles of late. They need the morale boost, which the Lucerne Festival date would certainly provide, as would The Proms. Also, since the Fabulous Philadelphians pulled out of their planned 2009 European tour, I would think that they'd want to make up for that loss big-time.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            Well, in the arena up close, no matter how many times you've heard it, the sheer physical energy and excitement of Le Sacre is still infectious IMO.
                            agreed haha! If it weren't for that piece i wouldn't be here now. I wouldnt be teaching either or have done music at uni!

Comment

Another rumour recently heard is that the 1st weekend, possibly bleeding into the start of the next week, also contains the Glagolitic Mass (1st night one would assume) and The Dream of Gerontius (Rattle; no confirmation of band but possibly OAE or CBSO, although the same conductor has perfomed it with the VPO but they usually appear late on in the season).

Comment

It's well past time that we heard the fabulous Clevelanders. I believe they're often in Europe during the summer. Is there a problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X