Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
    It's well past time that we heard the fabulous Clevelanders. I believe they're often in Europe during the summer. Is there a problem?
    They were in Edinburgh last summer and were indeed fabulous.

Comment

It is probably old news to you, but today I found out from the Proms website that:

Season details will be announced at noon on Thursday 14 April.
      Let the countdown begin!

Comment

Curalach: I've never had an opportunity to hear them live and really, really would!

Comment

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
          It is probably old news to you, but today I found out from the Proms website that:

Let the countdown begin!
          According to the website, booking is open from 9.00 am on Saturday 7th May.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilaryjane View Post
            According to the website, booking is open from 9.00 am on Saturday 7th May.
            Well, at least I won't have to take the morning off work to book my chosen Proms as I had to last year.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by NickWraight View Post
              Another rumour recently heard is that the 1st weekend, possibly bleeding into the start of the next week, also contains the Glagolitic Mass (1st night one would assume) and The Dream of Gerontius (Rattle; no confirmation of band but possibly OAE or CBSO, although the same conductor has perfomed it with the VPO but they usually appear late on in the season).
              I think the consensus is that it is Mahler 2 for the First Night and The Gothic for Prom 3..which left us speculating as to Prom 2 and either of those two works would fit nicely.

Comment

speculation on 1 August & 1 September Prom each

From trawling the Universal Edition website, some tantalizing speculative nuggets of scheduled performances this summer in London:

August 7, 2011
                Mahler: Das Klagende Lied
                BBC SO; BBC Singers; Edward Gardner, conductor

September 6, 2011:
                Wolfgang Rihm: Gesungene Zeit, Lichtes Spiel
                Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin; Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra; Manfred Honeck, conductor

This article from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review does mention a European tour by the PSO, with an excerpt that invites reading between the lines:

"The tour will include performances in the United Kingdom but those details will be announced at a later date. The schedules for some summer festivals, such as the BBC Proms in London, have yet to be released."
                If this is true that the PSO may go to The Proms this summer, this is excellent news, not just for Pittsburgh, but also that at least one American orchestra will be at the Proms. I speculated in an earlier post that maybe the Chicago Symphony and Philadelphia Orchestras might possibly go to The Proms, since they are scheduled for Lucerne. (However, this may depend on upcoming contract negotiations in Philadelphia, and given the recent Detroit Symphony debacle, one wonders what will happen with the Fabulous Philadelphians.)

From the earlier post about the Glagolithic Mass and The Dream of Gerontius being on the first weekend, I'm starting to wonder if maybe some of us are barking up the wrong tree about Mahler 2 being the First Night. To think about it, a Mahler symphony, the one requiring the most people, started the 2010 season, and after all, why repeat the formula? Why not vary it the next time? Plus, if the Glagolithic Mass is to be on the First Night, that means JB and the BBC SO, which would make perfect sense, if only on "nationalistic" grounds. The first part of the First Night could maybe return more to the "potpourri" or "sampler" of themes, with perhaps a Liszt tone poem and one or two other season-long themes to cover.

Comment

Impressive bit of detective work, bsp. On this evidence I think the odds on the Pittsburghers on 6 Sept would be quite short, and even shorter on them just being at the Proms on or around that date .
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                    From trawling the Universal Edition website, some tantalizing speculative nuggets of scheduled performances this summer in London:

August 7, 2011
                    Mahler: Das Klagende Lied
                    BBC SO; BBC Singers; Edward Gardner, conductor

Surely that can only tell half the story; apart from the soloists, even the Singers at double strength (2x24) would be underpowered for the choral writing there?

Comment

So long as if we have the Janacek we don't get the Dvorak Cello Concerto with Paul Watkins in the first half I won't mind . His performance of the Elgar a couple of years back was the least inspiring I have ever heard.

Comment

Netherlands Radio Philharmonic @ 2011 Proms (?)

I found this little tidbit from trawling the web of late, regarding the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic (RFO) and their current chief conductor, Jaap van Zweden:

"In het seizoen 2010-2011 zal hij zijn debuut maken op de BBC Proms."
                        I inquired around a little further, and I'm told that the RFO will perform Bruckner 8 at The Proms, marking first appearances there for both the RFO and van Zweden.

Given the threats to the orchestra's existence from the new Dutch coalition government with the earlier threatened elimination of funding for the Netherlands Music Centre, it's a nice gesture on the part of Roger Wright and the Proms management to invite the orchestra to the RAH. One wonders if the invitation had been in the works all along, or if they made a slot for them after the bombshell of the initial Dutch culture budget exploded last fall. The RFO had appeared in Birmingham at Symphony Hall not that long back, AFAICR.

Comment

A little birdie tells me that Wednesday August 10th is the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra with Kyrill Karabits but the programme is as yet under wraps.

Comment

The Edinburgh Festival programme has been announced which sometimes gives a clue about possible visitors to the Proms.
                            Edinburgh dates are:
                            16/17 August Montreal Symphony/ Nagano
                            24 August Seoul Philharmonic/ Chung
                            25 August Freiburg Baroque Orchestra/ Jacobs
                            29 August Tonhalle Orchestra/ Zinman
                            30/31 August Philadelphia Orchestra/ Dutoit
                            2/3 September Bamberg Symphony/ Nott

Comment

The Glyndebourne Prom is Rinaldo on 24/8 - courtesy of one singer's website.

Myung wha Chung is conducting at the Proms but with another band, forgotten which but not the Seoul Phil.

Comment

Felix Mendelssohn's "Elijah" @ The Proms this summer

Originally posted by NickWraight View Post
                                Myung wha [sic] Chung is conducting at the Proms but with another band, forgotten which but not the Seoul Phil.
                                For NW, at the risk of tooting one's own horn, I refer you back to the first post in this thread regarding Myung-Whun Chung .

Speaking of singer's websites, Nicola Corbishey indicates on her site a performance of Felix Mendelssohn's Elijah at The Proms on August 28, featuring the Gabrieli Consort (and presumably others).

Comment

Working...
                                X