Who is in control?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is in control?

No one?

Sage Gateshead: Free Thinking Festival

someone?....
    bong ching

Comment

Of What ?
      Some things don't need control

Ian Curtis ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Ian Curtis ?
        Obviously wasn't.

Comment

One idea is that you are in control, and that self control is the key to a long life.

Sage Gateshead - BBC Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival: Sir Michael Marmot - The Free Thinking Lecture

Of course, you may not be in as much control of yourself as you think or want, or you may even want someone else to be in control anyway! You may even want no one to be in control of you or anyone else. Be free, Sir Michael! The best gift we can expect is a sort of shocked humility at our own self-deception?

BBC Radio 3 - The Free Thinking Lecture - Michael Marmot on Self-Control
          Last edited by Guest; 26-10-13, 04:42.

Comment

Ah the good old determinism vs positivism debate again!

Comment

I'm sure you will all feel positive, safe and secure knowing that I am in control....of what I am unsure....freethinking?
              bong ching

Comment

What is this self of which the self is said to be both controller and controlled, if not just an unending series of mirrors?

Comment

Give me a moment ....I'm just reflecting on that....
                  bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    Give me a moment ....I'm just reflecting on that....

Comment

Bruce Forsyth...?!

Comment

Naaaaaaaa!!....the Free-Thinking editor....
                        Last edited by eighthobstruction; 20-10-13, 10:37.
                        bong ching

Comment

Bless you!!....More to the point....does he/she who is in charge intend to give us a live feed from Gateshead (as most /some of the lectures happen simultaneously,and all 30 odd happen over 3 days)....I guess the lectures will be cut about then delivered to R3 audience (all 153) over a long period of time....
                          Last edited by eighthobstruction; 21-10-13, 10:06.
                          bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            Bless you!!....More to the point....does he/she who is in charge intend to give us a live feed from Gateshead (as most /some of the lectures happen simultaneously,and all 30 odd happen over 3 days)....I guess the lectures will be cut about then delivered to R3 audience (all 153) over a long period of time....
                            I suppose that you could always try Twitter, although it has rightly been pointed out that Twitter is for twits!

Twitter - #FreeThinking

In the previous seven years, the talks have tended to be edited before broadcast, but a close colleague of mine was talking to Ian McMillan at the Proms, and he suggested that you all come to Sage Gateshead this weekend instead. As most of the events are already sold out, however, 'In Tune' might be a better bet.

Sage Gateshead - BBC Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival: In Tune Live Broadcast - Friday 25th October, 2013. 4.15pm - 6.30pm.
                            Last edited by Guest; 25-10-13, 12:14.

Comment

mostly Sold Out ....good....it's regularly a good event with excellent though provoking speakers....even though I tend to stumble across it rather making a regular date....
                              bong ching

Comment

Working...
                              X