Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard Chronochromie live with Ozawa conducting, but he never recorded it (or did he?). It was fantastic, but then it was the first piece of Messiaen's I heard live!

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Messiaen.
      Turangalila-Symphonie.

Philharmonia/Esa-Pekka Salonen.

Who, incidentally, will be performing it at the RFH on May 28 2015.
      Yes, I'd noticed this. Might make the trip south to be there

I attended a performance of Turangalila in Manchester on Feb 21 1978 given in the presence of Messiaen himself and I was lucky enough to meet him (and Yvonne Loriod)afterwards. Both signed my programme which I still have.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Messiaen.
        Turangalila-Symphonie.

This team performed Turangalila a few years back at RFH teams and it was tremendous, so I'll certainly try to go again

Comment

Messiaen.
          Turangalila-Symphonie.

I think I've seen this symphony performed twice, last time being about 1991 with Yvonne Loriod.

Mrs Oven accompanied me and it was a joyous occasion. £9 sit where you like, BBCSO @ the RFH? Don't remember.

I can't remember the orchestra or conductor. I have a strange idea that OM was present too, but it would have been one year before his death and it puts him in London. More likely my memory is playing tricks.

I would give two-shillings to know the orchestra and conductor of that concert in London.
          Last edited by Beef Oven!; 05-10-14, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            I think I've seen this symphony performed twice, last time being about 1991 with Yvonne Loriod.

Mrs Oven accompanied me and it was a joyous occasion. £9 sit where you like, BBCSO @ the RFH? Don't remember.

I can't remember the orchestra or conductor. I have a strange idea that OM was present too, but it would have been one year before his death and it puts him in London. More likely my memory is playing tricks.

I would give two-shillings to know the orchestra and conductor of that concert in London.
            BBCSO/A.Davis?

Comment

Gustav Holst - The Planets

HvK - VPO Decca

Prompted by visualnickmos and Petrushka's discussion of this recording on the 'what are you listening to now' thread.

It has taken me a long while, but this HvK performance is head and shoulders above his later, digital Deutsche Grammophon release.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                BBCSO/A.Davis?
                If so, I was there too, and Jeanne Loriod had problems with the transportation of her Ondes Martenot, IIRC.

Comment

Olivier Messiaen - Turangalîla-Symphonie

I have 3 recordings - Chaily, Chung and Wit. Currently giving the Wit a spin.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Luciano Berio - Concerto For Two Pianos And Orchestra

Beautiful sounds, gorgeous music. It's almost a concerto for orchestra interplaying with two pianos. Nearly half an hour of splendid bliss.

I will say that I have loved Berio's music for many years - and why not?

Playing a download that I bought a couple of years ago, quite cheaply.............

Comment

Not the first time I've mentioned this (sorry) but the Prom performance of Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony given by the BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Charles Groves with John Ogdon (Piano) and Jeanne Loriod (Ondes Martenot) which was broadcast from the Albert Hall, Wednesday 6 August 1969 is on my site.

Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.

Comment

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
                        Not the first time I've mentioned this (sorry) but the Prom performance of Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony given by the BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Charles Groves with John Ogdon (Piano) and Jeanne Loriod (Ondes Martenot) which was broadcast from the Albert Hall, Wednesday 6 August 1969 is on my site.

http://www.cliveheathmusic.co.uk/tapes.php
                        Not the first time I've mentioned this either, but I found attending the morning rehearsal for that performance one Hell of an education.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Not the first time I've mentioned this either, but I found attending the morning rehearsal for that performance one Hell of an education.
                          Wow, and back in '69 too. I'm envious. I still hadn't got past Amen Corner, by then!

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            Wow, and back in '69 too. I'm envious. I still hadn't got past Amen Corner, by then!
                            Would that be the one on the outskirts of Bracknell (from which the group, and later music shop) took its name?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Would that be the one on the outskirts of Bracknell (from which the group, and later music shop) took its name?
                              Are you pulling my leg? Did they really name themselves after that suburb? If so, it's taken me to 2014 to find that out - I never knew!

EDIT: You were pulling my leg!

"The band was named after The Amen Corner, a weekly disc spin at the Victoria Ballroom (later to become The Scene Club) in Cardiff, Wales, where every Sunday night Dr. Rock would play the best soul music from the United States." Wiki

Comment

It's a popular local urban myth. I was once told that the music shop was set up by AFL.

Comment

Working...
                                X