Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard it from the Storm onwards and was err ... blown away.
    In truth a magnificent performance.

Comment

I've just ordered another recording: Leipzig Gewandhaus/Nelsons, but it was an expensive purchase, as it was in a 7CD boxset. However it does have the benefit of including Aus Italien, which was never one of the fillers on the "mountain' of other recordings of the later work.

Comment

Boston Symphony Alpie.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Boston Symphony Alpie.
          Oops. Yes!

Comment

Sorry, I haven't trawled through all 47(!) pages of this thread but has this one come up yet? It's a BBCMM CD from 1991 with Jansons and the BBC Welsh. I used to play it to musical friends and say. 'What do you think? Berlin, Chicago, Vienna?' Nope!
            I uploaded it some years ago - see what you think. Try 20 minutes in if time is short.

Comment

Originally posted by symphony1010 View Post
              Sorry, I haven't trawled through all 47(!) pages of this thread but has this one come up yet? It's a BBCMM CD from 1991 with Jansons and the BBC Welsh. I used to play it to musical friends and say. 'What do you think? Berlin, Chicago, Vienna?' Nope!
              I uploaded it some years ago - see what you think. Try 20 minutes in if time is short.
              https://youtu.be/KAkk83xf6J4
              The Jansons/BBC Welsh was first mentioned in Petrushka's #3 in this thread.

Comment

Thanks for that! I expected 47 pages would cover pretty much everything!

Comment

'One to Avoid' as BBc Music Magazine used to say, is, in my opinion, Solti. Usually so good in Strauss, he seems to have felt this work is in danger of outstaying its welcome so he tends to rush it all through.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    'One to Avoid' as BBc Music Magazine used to say, is, in my opinion, Solti. Usually so good in Strauss, he seems to have felt this work is in danger of outstaying its welcome so he tends to rush it all through.
                    Maybe ideal for the earphones during today's Great North Run, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Maybe ideal for the earphones during today's Great North Run, then?
                      Even a run through a late period Maazel would put pressure on EAs undoubted running ability in a 13 miler…….
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        Nah, Solti’s recordings were never ‘ones to be avoided’. Always worth a listen - often quicker than many, but rarely dull!

Comment

Well, each to his own, cloughie, but fast can sometimes be dull, this year's Prom 9th symphony for instance (IMHO).

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Even a run through a late period Maazel would put pressure on EAs undoubted running ability in a 13 miler…….
                            Actually, that’s just about the speed I was doing yesterday.

But returning to rushing the Alpine Symphony, perhaps the worst culprit is Franz Welser-Möst, whose sunset sounds like a cataclysmic solar disaster, or perhaps he thought the mountaineers were being carried down by an avalanche.

Comment

Working...
                            X