Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shakespeare on 3

Press release announces that R3's 2012 contribution to the celebration of the bard will be: The Tempest.

"BBC Radio 3 presents a new radio production of The Tempest which will focus on the soundscape of Prospero’s island.

Audio is the perfect form for this play. It is in the listeners’ imaginations that the island, Caliban, Ariel and the beautifully magical plot can realise their full potential. The bare stage will be replaced by an audio space where every nuance, every word, every action is heard and felt in incredible detail.

A play about power, corruption, love and fidelity will always be relevant. But with the changing political landscape in Britain, this is an important time to reflect upon The Tempest’s complex themes.

BBC Productions "

No further details as yet.

[There will also be a series of The Essay, 'Shakespeare Around The Globe':

"In this special series of The Essay, Shakespeare fans around the world explain his importance within their own non-English speaking nation.

BBC Productions "]
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

More lazy programming, then

Any idea what the last sentence of the press release means, ff? Could it be to think on Gonzalo's "No occupation:all men idle, all" or Trinculo's "Here's neither bush nor shrub to bear off any weather at all, and another storm brewing. I hear it sing i'th' wind."?

Seriously though, it's something else to look forward to, and it is as they say a play ideally suited to radio.

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
      Any idea what the last sentence of the press release means, ff? Could it be to think on Gonzalo's "No occupation:all men idle, all" or Trinculo's "Here's neither bush nor shrub to bear off any weather at all, and another storm brewing. I hear it sing i'th' wind."?
      A hit, a very palpable hit.

Oh, no, that's the other one, isn't it?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Is it going to be in Binaural ?
        come on BBC get Dallas Simpson to make it

and whats the odds to Lenny Henry appearing in some form or other ?

Comment

and whats the odds to Lenny Henry appearing in some form or other ?
          He's otherwise engaged at present (and I think this production is on a longish run).
          Last edited by aeolium; 30-11-11, 12:31. Reason: Factual inaccuracy

Comment

News report here. Henry as Prospero? Why not? Critics aren't normally kind for the sake of it.

Comment

Henry as Prospero? Why not?
              Why not indeed? He'd certainly bring out that choleric quality in the part.

I find it hard to shake off the image of Prospero I formed listening to the radio adaptation with Paul Schofield in that role (originally in the 70s but I think I heard it in a later repeat) - that had some interesting musical effects too IIRC.

Comment

Working...
              X