14.3.11 - Stravinsky

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14.3.11 - Stravinsky

This week's CotW is a repeat.

1.Looking West - In the first programme, 'Looking West', Donald looks at Stravinsky's final years in Europe, when he was already composing works for American patrons, and leading a complicated private life, with his family ensconced in a grand chateau in South-Eastern France, and his mistress Vera in a Paris apartment. The tragic loss of his daughter, wife Katya and mother Anna within a few months in 1938 led him to feel that he no longer had ties to Paris, and he set sail for America in the autumn of 1939.
    2.Wartime in Hollywood - Donald Macleod looks at Stravinsky's early years in America, when, as a refugee in Los Angeles, he found himself rubbing shoulders with Marlene Dietrich and Greta Garbo, but having to face up to commercial pressures to earn a living.
    3.Craft - When the young conductor Robert Craft entered Stravinsky's life the composer found an advisor on English literature and developments in new music, and a devotee who assisted him for the remainder of his life. With Donald Macleod.
    4. A new method - Donald Macleod examines Stravinsky's attempts to keep up with the avant-garde and embrace serialism, despite being seen as 'the grand old man' of classical music.
    5. Return to Europe - Donald Macleod looks at Stravinsky's emotional return to his homeland, Russia, during the period of incessant travel that would define his final years.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

I recall that I enjoyed it very much, some two years ago or so (IIRC)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      some two years ago or so (IIRC)
      Yes, Jun 2009. Quite a reasonable gap, I'd say, before repeating a good programme.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Of course I recorded it all from freeview onto DVD

Comment

When I was a music student, Stravinsky was still alive and still musically active. To us he was a god, and for me he is still unquestionably the greatest 20th century composer. Discuss?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            When I was a music student, Stravinsky was still alive and still musically active. To us he was a god, and for me he is still unquestionably the greatest 20th century composer. Discuss?
            No discussion needed - You are correct.

Comment

Hmmm. There seem to have been one or two repeat COTWs recently. Can anyone remember this happening in the past, 'cos I can't. A sign of frugal times to come? I know this has been discussed before, but there are SO MANY worthwhile composers who've never been featured.

S-A

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Hmmm. There seem to have been one or two repeat COTWs recently. Can anyone remember this happening in the past, 'cos I can't. A sign of frugal times to come? I know this has been discussed before, but there are SO MANY worthwhile composers who've never been featured.
                I think there have been repeats before (other than later on the same day) but I haven't got any details about how many or how often.

Even TTN gets regular (complete) repeats, as does The Early Music Show. We'll notice that Breakfast is getting repeats when Rob pops up playing the Eroica on the kazoo again ...

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  He was certainly seen that way when I was a student. Is he still? I can see no rival.

Comment

When were you and ardcarp students?

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      I think there have been repeats before (other than later on the same day) but I haven't got any details about how many or how often.

Even TTN gets regular (complete) repeats, as does The Early Music Show. We'll notice that Breakfast is getting repeats when Rob pops up playing the Eroica on the kazoo again ...
                      There have been many repeats of Composer of the Week programmes. A fair few have been round several times. Just look out for the "(R)".

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        When were you and ardcarp students?
                        In my case, late 60s/early 70s.

Comment

Me mid to late 60s..

Comment

Strange that in an otherwise excellent introduction to each of the movements of the Symphony in Three Movements DM made no reference to the reason for the prominent piano part.
                            Last edited by Guest; 15-03-11, 17:16. Reason: Typo

Comment

cause it was to be a piano concerto?

3VS

Comment

Working...
                              X