Bargains

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
    ... also don't forget this set:

Comment

Kern: Showboat - Scenario for Orchestra

Cleveland Orchestra conducted by Artur Rodzinski
      Recorded January 29, 1941

Columbia Masterworks set M-495, three 78-rpm records

Out of copyright, and free of charge for download from

Cover design by Alex Steinweiss Arguably, two of the most groundbreaking shows in the history of the American musical theatre are  Showb...

and very good it is, too.

Comment

Rattle's Mahler Cycle for £18.69 (free delivery) here:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3437...rlrefer=search
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

After hearing Suitner's Dvorak 7 (and 6 a few weeks ago) I checked this out, now on its way to me.

Probably shouldn't have as I have a few sets already but what I've heard sounds good!

Comment

An excellent Parry bargain on Chandos:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
            Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              After hearing Suitner's Dvorak 7 (and 6 a few weeks ago) I checked this out, now on its way to me.

Probably shouldn't have as I have a few sets already but what I've heard sounds good!
              I bought this same set recently but unfortunately the ' New World ' disc is faulty so its going back - hope your set is ok.
              From what I had listened to ( Syms 7 & 8 ) before discovering the fault it should be an interesting set and a good complement to my existing Kubelik and Rowicki sets.

Comment

Neumann/Dvorak 8cd Box

This box is due to be released next week. It is £18.99 at AmazonUk but $7.99 at Amazon.com. Just ordered and, with delivery charge, it came to £9.38 (I went for the cheapest/slowest option as in no hurry).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Comment

A couple of free download samplers at Amazon. Only bits and pieces, so probably only of interest to a few...

Steve

Comment

This box is due to be released next week. It is £18.99 at AmazonUk but $7.99 at Amazon.com. Just ordered and, with delivery charge, it came to £9.38 (I went for the cheapest/slowest option as in no hurry).

If you use a credit card such as Santander Zero you won't be charged a fee for buying in local currency. There are a few cards that do this. I've purchased this set in this way and the price works out at £8.98. Not a lot I grant you but it all adds up.
                    This kind of card makes visiting foreign climes a little easier too,as you can appreciate.
                    A pleasant evening to you all.

Comment

Also ordered from Amazon.com.
                      Thanks to hafod for the heads-up.

Comment

I succumbed to the Melos Ensemble 11CD EMI Icon set seeing it for only £18 at play.com. (Amazon £29)

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
                          At that price it gets in at under the UK import duty charge. Not sure what happens with others though. There's a Bruno Walter Mahler set around $28 for 7 CDs listed via that Dvorak page as something else to buy. If you look closely you'll see it's an import to the US, and one of the sellers distributes from the UK. OTOH Amazon UK have it for about £35, while one of other sellers - based in Germany has it for around £24-25. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

Comment

Warning - this post may seriously threaten your bank balance

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            At that price it gets in at under the UK import duty charge. Not sure what happens with others though. There's a Bruno Walter Mahler set around $28 for 7 CDs listed via that Dvorak page as something else to buy. If you look closely you'll see it's an import to the US, and one of the sellers distributes from the UK. OTOH Amazon UK have it for about £35, while one of other sellers - based in Germany has it for around £24-25. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new
                            The cheapest way to get this set seems to be from Amazon Canada. It is $15.99 Canadian which is £10.01 plus £4.37 shipping - total £14.38 which is below the level that attracts import duty.

And no I am not an anorak labouriously working all this out as the info comes courtesy of the following useful little site which compares prices and delivery charges in your own currency for a range of Amazon sites. Simply cut and paste or type in the ASIN number (B006XOBFTM for the Mahler) into the search box. When the result page comes up click on the title and bingo! Some of the delivery charges may be out by a few pence eg the site seems to think that delivery for a UK marketplace seller is £1.45 rather than £1.26 but I have never had a subsequent nasty surprise when ordering.

As a result of this site I have discovered that the Spanish and especially the Italian site have some great bargains. For example, the new Sinopoli box (ASIN B0079J27DS) on AmazonUK suddenly shot up from £29 to £48. Using Pricenoia I found it on AmazonIt for Eur25.19. (It's a couple of euros more now). I also found the Ciccolini 56cd box (ASIN B002SV3KOM) for Eur43.18. The delivery charge for both was just 6 euros. I bought both - well it is my birthday in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                              The cheapest way to get this set seems to be from Amazon Canada. It is $15.99 Canadian which is £10.01 plus £4.37 shipping - total £14.38 which is below the level that attracts import duty.

And no I am not an anorak labouriously working all this out as the info comes courtesy of the following useful little site which compares prices and delivery charges in your own currency for a range of Amazon sites. Simply cut and paste or type in the ASIN number (B006XOBFTM for the Mahler) into the search box. When the result page comes up click on the title and bingo! Some of the delivery charges may be out by a few pence eg the site seems to think that delivery for a UK marketplace seller is £1.45 rather than £1.26 but I have never had a subsequent nasty surprise when ordering.

As a result of this site I have discovered that the Spanish and especially the Italian site have some great bargains. For example, the new Sinopoli box (ASIN B0079J27DS) on AmazonUK suddenly shot up from £29 to £48. Using Pricenoia I found it on AmazonIt for Eur25.19. (It's a couple of euros more now). I also found the Ciccolini 56cd box (ASIN B002SV3KOM) for Eur43.18. The delivery charge for both was just 6 euros. I bought both - well it is my birthday in a couple of weeks.
                              Many thanks for this information hafod - and best wishes for your forthcoming birthday

Comment

Oh dear: the title of your post sums it up perfectly... But thanks for a really useful link; happy birthday from me too (celebrating mine today, as it happens!)

Comment

Working...
                                X