Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Morrison, in a review in today's Times, is somewhat dismissive of this piece.

He says:

The oratorio also has two of the most interminable arias in the whole of Bach’s vocal works, wonderfully intricate though their obbligato instrumental writing is.
    You begin to understand why the work has been neglected.​

I have this (old-style) recording, which I can't say I've found interminable. Nor do I neglect it: I shall play it over the weekend.

Elly Ameling (soprano), Helen Watts (contralto), Werner Krenn (tenor), Tom Krause (bass)
    Helmut Winschermann (oboe), Johannes Bruning (violin)
    Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, Wiener Akademie-Chor, Karl Münchinger

What do others make of this 'slightly extended cantata'?
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 29-03-24, 10:38.

Comment

Richard Morrison, in a review in today's Times, is somewhat dismissive of this piece.

He says:

The oratorio also has two of the most interminable arias in the whole of Bach’s vocal works, wonderfully intricate though their obbligato instrumental writing is.
    You begin to understand why the work has been neglected.​

I have this (old-style) recording, which I can't say I've found interminable. Nor do I neglect it: I shall play it over the weekend.

Elly Ameling (soprano), Helen Watts (contralto), Werner Krenn (tenor), Tom Krause (bass)
    Helmut Winschermann (oboe), Johannes Bruning (violin)
    Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, Wiener Akademie-Chor, Karl Münchinger

What do others make of this 'slightly extended cantata'?​

I started a new topic before I discovered this one.
    Richard Morrison, in a review in today's Times, is somewhat dismissive of this piece. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/563a981d-a6f1-4f1a-8b5f-bc493c769654?shareToken=d1dcf02545ae67d50642494cef555446 He says: The oratorio also has two of the most interminable arias in the whole of Bach’s vocal works, wonderfully intricate

Apologies for the duplication of information about the version on my shelves.
    Must stream the Herreweghe and/or the van Veldhoven if I can find them.
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 29-03-24, 10:46.

Comment

I have the Retrospect Ensemble recording with Carolyn Sampson and Iestyn Davies - doesn't sound the slightest bit interminable in this recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

The only recording I have is probably dreadfully unfashionable these days, but I like it anyway:
        Elly Ameling/Helen Watts/Werner Krenn/Tom Krause
        Wiener Akademie-Chor
        Stuttgarter Kammerorchester
        Karl Münchinger
        Why be a slave to fashion? Munchinger’s Bach was generally excellent. The only downside was the wobbly choir in his B minor Mass recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          The only recording I have is probably dreadfully unfashionable these days, but I like it anyway:
          Elly Ameling/Helen Watts/Werner Krenn/Tom Krause
          Wiener Akademie-Chor
          Stuttgarter Kammerorchester
          Karl Münchinger
          In my youth I didn't like the Stuttgart/Münchinger recordings much but my view has changed over the years. Last Christmas I listened to the Christmas Oratorio recording and enjoyed it very much so I'd like to hear the Easter Oratorio recording.

Comment

I like the Easter Oratorio: I was listening to it the other day, in Wolfgang Gonnenwein's 1964 EMI recording with Patricia Johnson. I think it's quite the equal of the cantatas in the Xmas Oratorio.

Richard Morrison is entited to his opinion but I don't regard him as Gospel . I've often disagreed with what he's written.

I'm a veteran Munchinger fan , from his epoch-making 'Four Seasons' (LXT 2600) onwards. I especially like his 'Art of Fugue' for string orchestra. Luscious.

Comment

I've done a bit of housekeeping to merge the two threads on this work.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I disagree with Morrison's view of the Easter Oratorio, it's a great piece that isn't pretending to be a passion.

I was in the hall and, unfortunately, I rather agree with his view of the concert which never quite came to life. None of the performers were poor but, collectively, it was all a bit flat. Nothing like the Gardiner / EBS / Monteverdi choir version I have.

Comment

Enjoyed last evening another listen to the Netherlands Bach Society performance from 2017: https://www.bachvereniging.nl/en/bwv/bwv-249

I agree it's a great piece with some lovely music. The two long arias don't seem 'interminable' to me, just rather wonderful moments to be savoured.

Comment

Working...
                  X