Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shostakovich VC1 Redux

Last night was our last CSO concert of the year. Taylor Swift is in town and there were dire warnings about congestion and we left hours earlier than normal. There was no issue getting in and we used the extra time to attend a Van Gogh exhibit at the Art Institute across the street.
    Program was Ravel (Menue Antique and La Valse), bookending the DSCH VC1 with Vladim Gluzman and Debussy La Mer. The Conductor was a new name, David Arkham.
    We had just heard the VC in New York a few weeks ago with Kavakos so the contrast was interesting. In general Kavakos takes a more dreamy lyrical approach and Gluzman a meatier blood and guts. The cadenza and the finale in particular had great intensity. I prefer Gluzman, whomI think played rings around Kavakos, but Gluzman is my favorite living violinist (he leads a chamber music festival here since 2011 and I've heard him live in that context, but this is the first time at the CSO). Gluzman plays a Straw that was owned by Leopold Auer. It inspires awe to think that that fiddle must have been played by not only Auer but his famous pupils as well.
Working...
X