Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Through the Night

Last night, I went through most of the night with Through the Night. In reality, of course, all six hours of it were in the morning. There are not huge numbers of threads about this programme. I thought it might therefore be useful to give you my thoughts.

1. I have the impression that while TTN would never enjoy a big fan club, it doesn't create the same amount of upset as the other morning programmes. Is this right? I am guessing that this is because there hasn't always been 24 hour broadcasting on R3. There is perhaps not a standard from the past that it is seen as failing to meet. It is also very much outside core listening hours.

2. It would seem though that it does fall into a broadcasting style which reflects changes elsewhere. For example, there are a lot of short pieces of music. As with Breakfast, I could see the argument for having longer ones - that average of 11 minutes rather than 7 minutes that french frank has suggested. In fact, given the length of the programme, and the slower pace of that time of day, this would seem to be entirely sensible.

3. Similarly, there is a lot of chop and change that doesn't seem very rational. Haydn, Weill, Schoenberg, Jary, Kodaly, Weill, Weill, Weill, Weill in that order. Actually, I found the sheer amount of Weill in the first two hours not at all to my tastes - one or two would have been fine - and wondered whether it would be considered by many to be classical music at all.

4. I found Susan Sharpe to be a warm, authoritative, announcer. I liked her. I thought she had exactly the right voice and manner for that time of the day. I found her descriptions both nicely illuminating and succinct. However, it seemed to me that she was having to cater for several audiences at the same time. While it was helpful to hear that Turina was a friend of de Falla, even I didn't need to be told about the subject of Debussy's Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune. This is a difficult square to circle.

5. Musically, she was also catering for all. Much as I love them, I was surprised to find the Prélude and La Mer in the same programme. Nevertheless, I welcomed selections from composers with whom I was not so familar - yes Turina but also Moyzes, Milhaud and Respighi among others. And the Kodaly was terrific. I see that it is to feature in one of the next proms so I will probably be tuning in for that one.

6. In fact, I very much enjoyed the sequence Sibelius, Glinka, Milhaud, Debussy, Turina, Respighi, even then the Corelli. If it hadn't been for the lively Milhaud which seemed to be positioned entirely irrationally, they would have made for a coherent order with an emphasis on the quietly evocative. For a while I wondered whether some programmes might benefit from more concentration on atmospheric continuity. However, on balance, the open minded part of me thought not because I welcomed the opportunity to hear a little Beethoven etc too.

7. Whether as a whole it was a programme of "dark humour" as it was described I somewhat doubt.

I hope that this feedback is interesting and helpful in stimulating further debate among experts.

I like TTN and listen occasionally but it's usually a programme I drift in and out of sleep to but Lat's 2 - this week there was a 3 hour slot of Handel's Tamerlano, the complete Manfred symphony (l hr) Schubert's string 4tets (1 hr) plus half an hour of Vieuxtemps amongst others. Personally I like Jonathan Swain as the presenter.

I may be wrong but isn't TTN an EBU production so it's done and dusted and presenters have no say in the playlist they just announce the links?

Comment

It's edited for EBU members by a small BBC team in London. In a number of other countries, it's called 'Notturno'. Surprisingly perhaps, I have seen postings in the past which seemed to assume that the announcements are made live...

Comment

Yes Ofca, meant to say the announcements are all pre-recorded as well. In fact, from memory Jonathan Swain mentioned when he made a couple of posts here - that he was tucked up in bed when it was broadcast

Comment

My impression is that most often TTN is mentioned in relation to other programmes as an exemplary programme in its content and presentation. It doesn't tend to get threads dedicated to it.

The big change over recent years is that each programme used to be individually produced as a one-off. Now there is a regular cycle of repetition, presumably as a cost-cutting measure.

At times there are entire operas, so it's not true to suggest that it's made up of shorter pieces. The introductions are short but to the point and there are no extraneous elements. It's a recorded programme. I think that by the time it gets to about 3am there are no more than 2-3,000 R3 listeners, but that hardly matters in the context of a 6-hour programme - and throughout Europe the listening figures will be much higher.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

And of course many R3 listeners play TTN via iPlodder as an antidote to much of the daily mix of R3.

Comment

Insomniac that I am, I listen to TTN intermittently, with RT to one side in case I miss out on announcements. TTN is much more like R3 used to be in recordings programmes - if anything introductions to pieces are often too short for me and I have to reach for my music dictionary to find out about the composer and his or her dates. One can always demur at particular pieces following other particular pieces - but I am often astounded not to have heard/ heard of said composer(s) before, especially as they are never played on daytime Radio 3.

S-A

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                but I am often astounded not to have heard/ heard of said composer(s) before, especially as they are never played on daytime Radio 3.
                Probably because the recordings come from many different countries where some composers may be better known than they are here.

Passing through Wrocław a few years ago I was surprised to discover that Moniuszko's Halka was virtually a national opera over there. We don't often hear of Moniuszko, let alone Halka.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I only listen to TTN via Listen Again. I wish it were a daytime programme. I am not too keen on listening to the computer although I have a reasonably good pair of speakers. It somehow doesn’t feel the same as listening to the radio.

I enjoy listening to the ensembles and orchestras that don’t usually appear on any other programmes although some are not exactly in the top league but there have been quite a few discoveries too (for me at least).

TTN had a short period of broadcasting the proms repeat. It will be good if the programme digs out some of the late night, chamber or matinee proms from the past. I find these proms are often very good but are neglected in many ways.

And the presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Passing through Wrocław a few years ago ...
                    ... just to say I appreciated the velarized Ł in Breslau...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... just to say I appreciated the velarized Ł in Breslau...
                      It was only about three years ago, so I think Wrocław is permissible

And slightly veering back towards the OP and music, walking from the station to my hotel I passed the opera house and popped in to get a ticket for the evening's performance. I was asked how much I would like to pay for the seat and said up to (the equivalent of) £20. The astonished reply was that I could buy the entire opera house for that amount ...

Comment

My experience of opera in Poland was attending Tosca (Tocka) at the Great Theatre in Warsaw (Teatr Wielki Warszawa) - sung in Polish.

Two memories - so many consonants in Polish that one had the feeling that the singers were having to stop all the time to extrude another slew of consonants before getting on with the singing... and that the Theatre was so big because half of it was (quite rightly) taken up by the cloakrooms - because in the winter EVERYONE had furs/capes/ cloaks/boots/galoshes - and because the cloakrooms were so large and efficient everyone got away speedily before the last tram....

Comment

I've noticed that, except when there's an opera, there are two start times during the programme that don't vary, i.e. 0301 amd 0501. As I've never been listening at these times, can anybody explain the reason for these fixed points?

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                            I've noticed that, except when there's an opera, there are two start times during the programme that don't vary, i.e. 0301 amd 0501. As I've never been listening at these times, can anybody explain the reason for these fixed points?
                            I think the 6-hour programme is produced in 2-hour blocks, which on R3/UK start at c. 1am, c. 3am, and c. 5am. Sometimes they seem to mix and match these blocks as repeats.

Comment

I have listened recently to bits from TTN. It's interesting to hear Norwegian orchestras, particularly Previn conducting the Oslo Phil and Rozhdestvensky conducting Tchaikovsky Manfreed with the same orchestra.

Comment

Working...
                              X