Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your explanaion., Mandryka. I understand what you (and they) mean , but it's not for me. I suppose it depends on where you draw the line. I can accept some embellishment in Handel, for instance, the sort of thing Thurston Dart and George Malcolm used to do in continuo realisation, but altering Schubert's notes risks 'doing your own thing': there's no telling where it might end. I recall a pianist interpolating folk tunes into Chopin and Grieg. I just wouldn't want to hear that. I'm content with the Schubert recordings I have.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      I went back there and found my list:

I have about twenty Schöne Müllerins and v difficult to single out a favourite. Gerhaher with Huber (superb accompaniment), mentioned above, is excellent. I also like the Prégradien/Staier. The earlier East German Peter Schreier with Norman Shetler, Wunderlich, Kaufmann, Werner Güra (also seen live at Wigmore) Thomas Quasthoff is not far behind FD. Julius Patzak with Michael Raucheisen recorded in 1943 in Berlin. Souzay. I'm not really a Pears fan but like Britten's piano. Matthias Goerne with Christoph Eschenbach should definitely be a BaL contender. Two other historical favourites are tenor Aksel Schiøtz and baritione Gerhard Hüsch.

Since then I have only acquired one more - not a recent recording: Ernst Haefliger accompanied by Jacqueline Bonneau. (He also recorded a good version with Jörg Ewald Dähler on fortepiano.) I have had a soft spot for Haefliger since I got my first LP of Dichterliebe over 50 years ago (this one). I waited several decades for it to appear on CD and eventually it did via a very rewarding Haefliger box which came out a couple of years ago: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...fliger-edition. The Schöne Müllerin with Jacqueline Bonneau is in that collection. Maybe not a 'landmark' but very good.
      You know there are two Gerhaher/ Huber recordings? Both on Spotify. I don't know what I really feel about what he does actually - here and elsewhere - but he has ideas about singing so there's food for thought there.

Comment

Astonishing rendition from Fassbaender and Reimann - tough, harsh, brutal almost. Lyrical but spiky, angular. This is one nasty vengeful lover! Some would say she's taken the music completely the wrong way I guess.

Comment

Maybe she has some 'agenda' of her own to unload; I've admired her singing in other music but I wouldn't listen to her in this work.

Comment

I have a confession to make: in my early youth, only a boy you see in the very early 80s, I bought Schubert's 'Schöne Müllerine' as I was embarking on my passion with this composer but I failed to see my fault. I acquired the recording by Shura Gehrman on Nimbus, with Nina Walker (NIM 5023) translated in to English as the `Fair Maid of the Mill'. How could I have been so stupid? At least I have an occasional laugh´at my error

Give me Bostridge any day, or he'll turn me in to a witch...

Comment

Steuart Wilson recorded a very abridged version in English, billed as 'The Maid of the Mill'. One scoffs now, but in 1929 those Decca 78s, much cheaper than HMV. may well have started a love of Schubert Lieder in some impecunious listener.

I came to know the 'Unfinfished' in a very wacky recording with the middle missing. Who knows how many poeple came to love Wolf Lieder by first hearing Barbra Streisand? Or Mozart from Benny Goodman?

Comment

Wanna hear Otello or Siegfried sing Schöne Müllerin? Francisco Araiza's your answer. The DG engineers have not done him any favours though - terribly in your face, it's as if he's there in your living room, singing 2 meters away - full throttle, the volume of a tenor on the stage at Covent Garden. A far cry from his lovely Winterreise.

But it's a young voice and a dramatic interpretation. If only he had been more sympathetically recorded.​ F\or me it's not easily tolerable.
                Last edited by Mandryka; 22-03-24, 19:25.

Comment

This is an example of Julius Patzak with Walter Klien, it's the only example I can find online. I'll post it here in case someone who appreciates the art of fine lieder singing cares to comment

Comment

Andreas Schmidt has recorded Müllerin twice, first on Hanssler and then on DG - same for Winterreise. For DG the voice is deeper, and I would say that the interpretations - both Winterreise and Müllerin - are full of sensitivity. I just find what he does almost devistatingly expressive, moving. Top tier, for both cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

Wanna hear Otello or Siegfried sing Schöne Müllerin? Francisco Araiza's your answer. The DG engineers have not done him any favours though - terribly in your face, it's as if he's there in your living room, singing 2 meters away - full throttle, the volume of a tenor on the stage at Covent Garden. A far cry from his lovely Winterreise.

But it's a young voice and a dramatic interpretation. If only he had been more sympathetically recorded.​ F\or me it's not easily tolerable.
                      Better, much better interpretation, here - obviously not really recommendable because of the sound - but what a fabulous imaginative lyrical performance. He obviously thought better of it for DG - a big mistake IMO

Comment

Working...
                      X