X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

She played the piano for Wifred Pickles.
    Indeed she did, but was she the Mabel that gave them the money - five bob from memory.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post

Indeed she did, but was she the Mabel that gave them the money - five bob from memory.
      Mabel, it appears, was Mrs Wilfred Pickles.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Not radio I know but I see that BBC4 tonight is about the early days of children's TV programmes , and includes a documentary about Oliver Postgate.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Not radio I know but I see that BBC4 tonight is about the early days of children's TV programmes , and includes a documentary about Oliver Postgate.
          It's the fiftieth anniversary of the first broadcast of 'Bagpuss' tomorrow. Only thirteen episodes and yet it has become a TV treasure. And 'Words and Music' this evening is about Bagpuss.
          Last edited by johncorrigan; 11-02-24, 09:59.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post

It's the fiftieth anniversary of the first broadcast of 'Bagpuss' tomorrow. Only thirteen episodes and yet it has become a TV treasure. And 'Words and Music' this evening is about Bagpuss.
            A series I completely missed out on. From long ago discussion on the forum, it seemed that the music associated with Bagpuss was interesting too, to say the least.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I read somewhere quite recently that Postgate's reputation has become sullied in some way, and feeling greately disappointed, having enjoyed that documentary and come to think of him as something of an exemplary.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                An adventure series - I don't remember its name but the introductory music was from Stravinsky's Symphony in Three Movements.
                Sadly I"m in the same situation. I certainly remember the opening music - loved it ever since. There was another programme - was it Naughty Maria - which had the scherzo from Dvořák​'s D minor symphony.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Sadly I"m in the same situation. I certainly remember the opening music - loved it ever since. There was another programme - was it Naughty Maria - which had the scherzo from Dvořák​'s D minor symphony.
                  There was also a 1956 Children's Hour drama called 'Counterspy.' It was produced in Cardiff by BBC Wales and featured a young Michael Aspel. The introductory music was the opening of Stravinsky's Symphony in 3 Movements. Aspel played a Canadian called James 'Rocky' Mountain.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I read somewhere quite recently that Postgate's reputation has become sullied in some way, and feeling greately disappointed, having enjoyed that documentary and come to think of him as something of an exemplary.
                    That would be sad if so - can you remember the specifics? Like you I enjoyed that documentary, and will probably watch it again tonight.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

That would be sad if so - can you remember the specifics? Like you I enjoyed that documentary, and will probably watch it again tonight.
                      This was the only thing I could discover - in the Daily Mail, a one-sided version from a disinherited son. Nothing scandalous.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

I must have been thinking of someone else.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

There was also a 1956 Children's Hour drama called 'Counterspy.' It was produced in Cardiff by BBC Wales and featured a young Michael Aspel. The introductory music was the opening of Stravinsky's Symphony in 3 Movements. Aspel played a Canadian called James 'Rocky' Mountain.
                          Thanks for settling that, LMcD - it's been quietly nagging my memory over the years.... Here is a BBC genome record; I suppose there may be a connection with the US series featured in the Wikipedia article, but it's not mentioned there.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

I was disappointed that there was no mention of Michael Bentine's "Billy Bean Built a Machine" from the late 50s on yesterday's sequence on BBC4. Otherwise it brought back fond memories.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                              • Nov 2010

Helen Henschel used to talk about classical music and play the piano, but I remember nothing of this except that she introduced herself by playing the finale theme from Brahms's first symphony,

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                                Helen Henschel used to talk about classical music and play the piano, but I remember nothing of this except that she introduced herself by playing the finale theme from Brahms's first symphony,
                                BBC Home Service, 5.20 p.m. 20/10/1947:
                                'Music at Random' with Helen Henschel.
                                Alice in Wonderland, arranged as a dialogue in 5 parts.
                                There's also an edition from 1945 featuring 'Uncle Mac'
                                Details of these and other broadcasts can be found by googling 'BBC genome Helen Henschel'.

Comment

Working...
                                X