Prom 21: Saturday 30th July at 7.30 p.m. (Strauss, Walton, Prokofiev)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 21: Saturday 30th July at 7.30 p.m. (Strauss, Walton, Prokofiev)

Presented by Rob Cowan

A Prom full of orchestral spectacle and panache. The centrepiece is Prokofiev's patriotic cantata based on music he wrote for Eisenstein's film about the epic struggles of the medieval Russian hero, Alexander Nevsky. Richard Strauss's hero, Don Juan, is less bloodthirsty but every bit as colourful, while Salome is one of Strauss's most seductive heroines. Violinist Midori joins the CBSO and Andris Nelsons for Walton's Concerto - a dramatic and lyrical work that makes huge technical demands on the soloist.

R.Strauss: Don Juan
    Walton:Violin Concerto
    Prokofiev:Alexander Nevsky - cantata
    R.Strauss: Salome - Dance of the Seven Veils

Midori (violin)
    Nadezhda Serdiuk (mezzo-soprano)
    CBSO Chorus
    City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
    Andris Nelsons (conductor)

Delayed relay on BBC 2 (same evening) if you need an excuse not to go!

Comment

I have a feeling this will be a cracking Nevsky. Will definitely watch this Prom. Only heard Nelsons once, in a very compelling performance of DSCH 8, which can be found in The Digital Concert Hall's expanding archive.
      Last edited by Guest; 24-07-11, 02:25.

Comment

It is good to see Nevsky surviving in its own right as music and at least to my ears is an improvement on the score that accompanied the Eisenstein Film which with its ham acting, ill fitting Teutonic helmets that look like buckets and polystyrene foam masquerading as ice hasn't imo survived the test of time all that well. Looking forward to the Strauss too.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

Walton's Violin Concerto has long been a personal favourite, having heard it initially in a live concert. The artificial close miking of many recorded versions has meant that it has been difficult to re-live that live concert experience, but Kyung Wha Chung's Decca recording seems to press all the right buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Walton's Violin Concerto .... Kyung Wha Chung's Decca recording seems to press all the right buttons.
            I bought that LP for the Stravinsky violin concerto. But it didn't take much time to take it from the shelve (where it was placed under Stravinsky) and place it under the W of Walton. I agree fully that Kyung Wha Chung's recording (with Walton present, what a lovely pictures of him and Chung on the LP sleeve) is one of the most sensual (don't know a better word for what I mean here) available.

Certainly looking forward to the Nevsky-cantata.

Comment

Walton's Violin Concerto has long been a personal favourite,
              A favourite of mine too. I am looking forward to this concert (I don't know the prokofiev so will listen with interest).

Comment

. . . Kyung Wha Chung's Decca recording [of Walton/Stravinsky] seems to press all the right buttons.
                For me as well - although it's the only recording of the Walton I have, so can't compare.
                Just bought the Strauss/Respighi Violin Sonatas with her and K. Zimerman (on CD though).
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

I watched the DVD of Eisenstein's famous film recently, parts of it are still amazing, especially the Battle on the Ice. Prokofiev worked very closely with the director, using a kind of storyboard to outline the dramatic elements in the shooting script. It's a great pity that the original Soviet era sound techniques were rather poor, it's quite difficult to hear much detail in the music, and this has lead to a few screenings with a real orchestra taking over, but I haven't been lucky enough to catch one. I'm just off to find a good spot in the Arena, it should be a great evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    one of the most sensual (don't know a better word for what I mean here) available.
                    How about ESsensual - to chime with "Classics"?

Comment

Just got back from the Hall - managed to watch the last bit on the delay broadcast!

Excellent concert I thought - only slight quibble would be the running order - can't think why Salome was scheduled after the Nevsky. Made it sound almost insignificant compared to the large scale cantata.

amac

Comment

It sounded wonderful in the RAH tonight, especially Alexander Nevsky, and I agree that the Dance of the Seven Veils should have been played before the Prokofiev.
                        I thought Midori's performance of the Walton Concerto was an almost complete disaster. She seems completely incapable of producing the body of tone required, and seems to be completely out of touch with Walton's style. I have fond memories of other performers in this music, but this was a travesty.

Comment

Some years ago I heard Ashkenazy conducting the Phiharmonia orchestra and chorus at an RFH screening of Nevsky. For all its histrionics the film is quite thrilling in parts and the live orchestra below the screen was just magical. Ashkenazy had what looked like a larger illuminated dial next to him; not quite sure what that was for. Some sort of timing device, perhaps?

Comment

I wondered if people had enough sense left to get the right buses and trains to go home after that almost absurdly exciting performance of Alexander Nevsky. And yes, I thought this should have been the last work of the concert. I didn’t think an orchestra could play anything other than a light encore after that Nevsky. All the same, I enjoyed Salome.

Also I thought the performance came through very well on the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                              I thought Midori's performance of the Walton Concerto was an almost complete disaster. She seems completely incapable of producing the body of tone required, and seems to be completely out of touch with Walton's style. I have fond memories of other performers in this music, but this was a travesty.
                              I am in total agreement. This lady might indeed love Walton's concerto, but she has no conception whatever of how Walton's music should be played. Guanerius? It sounded more like a Yamaha school fiddle to me.

Speaking as one who has always supported Walton's cause, I was deeply disappointed. Liking a work is not enough reason to play it if you don't understand how it should be performed.
                              Nigel Kennedy gave a fine performance of this with the BSO. Iona Brown likewise (can't remember who with)

Maybe only the British really understand Walton's intentions, ('though the Americans also do rather well).

VH

PS: When are we going to hear the viola concerto? A much neglected work IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X