Prom 21: Saturday 30th July at 7.30 p.m. (Strauss, Walton, Prokofiev)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
    Some years ago I heard Ashkenazy conducting the Phiharmonia orchestra and chorus at an RFH screening of Nevsky. For all its histrionics the film is quite thrilling in parts and the live orchestra below the screen was just magical. Ashkenazy had what looked like a larger illuminated dial next to him; not quite sure what that was for. Some sort of timing device, perhaps?
    I saw the same orchestra - can't remember the conductor's name, it wasn't VA - augmenting the film soundtrack in this way at the Brighton Festival some years ago. The whole thing worked very well, especially with choirs placed both behind and to both sides of the orchestra.
    I enjoyed the whole of last night's concert. I'm probably not qualified to judge whether Midori deserves the withering scorn that's been heaped on her performance. All I know is, like, she seemed to, like, play all notes in the right order and, like, you know, it sounded like Walton, know what I mean (but then, what do I know? )

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
      . . . I'm probably not qualified to judge whether Midori deserves the withering scorn that's been heaped on her performance. All I know is, like, she seemed to, like, play all notes in the right order and, like, you know, it sounded like Walton, know what I mean (but then, what do I know? )
      Not qualified, like, either like. As to playing all the notes in the right order - well, those notes which I could actually hear. That particular violin sounded soooo undernourished and anaemic. Watching on the box Midori appeared to be playing - but quite often sound there was none - in the pp passages.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

I heard the Walton violin concerto a lot years ago, both at rehearsals and live performances. Because of severe hearing problems, [I hope,temporary], I couldn't make anything of it and turned it off. I'm not blaming Midori bcause it was probably me, but it seemed very feeble and quiet. This was on R3, I didn't bother about the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          Not qualified, like, either like. As to playing all the notes in the right order - well, those notes which I could actually hear. That particular violin sounded soooo undernourished and anaemic. Watching on the box Midori appeared to be playing - but quite often sound there was none - in the pp passages.
          Well, I have recorded the concert but did dip into it occasionally, during the Walton VC (one of my favs) but oh dear, Midori and her violin tone were completely at odds with this work. Still I will sit down later and see it right through. It's a pity as I thought that this might be a work that I would archive onto DVD but from my sampling, probably not - such a shame and a disaster for Midori.

Comment

And I didn't know the piece either, nor did I really warm to it, except in a few places. It seemed very stop and start in every movement - it was hard for me to tell which was which. The cello concerto is much better IMV.

Anyway, you wouldn't know the performance was sub-standard from the predictably gushing praise of the R3 presenter. Either he is lying through his teeth to order, or some of you are being unkind to the soloist.

I don't like the Nevsky cantata much, even less the Seven Veils, so my highlight was Don Juan, which was beautifully crafted.

Comment

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
              And I didn't know the piece either, nor did I really warm to it, except in a few places. It seemed very stop and start in every movement - it was hard for me to tell which was which. The cello concerto is much better IMV.

Anyway, you wouldn't know the performance was sub-standard from the predictably gushing praise of the R3 presenter. Either he is lying through his teeth to order, or some of you are being unkind to the soloist.

I don't like the Nevsky cantata much, even less the Seven Veils, so my highlight was Don Juan, which was beautifully crafted.
              With respect, you wouldn't expect the presenter to say 'that was a crap performance' would you? I just thought that once I'd heard a few bars that this wasn't going to be good. However, I'll give my opinion later when I have heard it in completion, unless it is so bad that I delete it.

Comment

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
                And I didn't know the piece either, nor did I really warm to it, except in a few places.
                Do give it another chance. But if Kyung-Wha Chung with the LSO under Andre Previn (Decca SXL 6601 - but probably available on CD as well) doesn't win you over - abandon all hope!
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                  With respect, you wouldn't expect the presenter to say 'that was a crap performance' would you?
                  Of course not. But the presenter could show a bit more neutrality if (and in his case, he would know) it wasn't up to scratch. He can distance himself by merely relaying the enthusiasm of the audience (and they did sound enthusiastic).

Comment

Tuned in for the Strauss and the Prokofiev. Isn't the CBSO Good!? These islands have some great orchestras imho. Please don't let the penny pinchers take them away.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

All the Proms presenters seem to have a 'Gosh, wasn't that fantastic' default setting, regardless of what they, and we, have just heard and seen. I ignored their gushing during the BBC Philharmonic's 'Spanish Night', which I didn't enjoy, and I ignored it again during last night's concert, which I did enjoy. Had I not been watching the 'deferred live' broadcast on BBC2, I would have fast-forwarded to the start of each item.

Perhaps I should watch Midori again and compare her with Dong-Suk Kang on my Naxos CD.

I didn't have a problem with the final item, which I thought completed the process of raising one's spirits after the desolation of the Field Of The Dead, followed by the triumphantly patriotic conclusion to the Prokofiev.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        I bought that LP for the Stravinsky violin concerto. But it didn't take much time to take it from the shelve (where it was placed under Stravinsky) and place it under the W of Walton. I agree fully that Kyung Wha Chung's recording (with Walton present, what a lovely pictures of him and Chung on the LP sleeve) is one of the most sensual (don't know a better word for what I mean here) available.

Certainly looking forward to the Nevsky-cantata.
                        Hi,
                        I listened to the tape until it broke...I would love to buy another recording of these two violin works, her recording was fabulous.!

Comment

Some fine Nevskys on record - Järvi and Abbado among them. Now if there'd been a score for Potemkin - or has Carl Davis done one?

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                            It sounded all right to me, but I was standing right in front of her.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                              All the Proms presenters seem to have a 'Gosh, wasn't that fantastic' default setting, regardless of what they, and we, have just heard and seen. I ignored their gushing during the BBC Philharmonic's 'Spanish Night', which I didn't enjoy, and I ignored it again during last night's concert, which I did enjoy. Had I not been watching the 'deferred live' broadcast on BBC2, I would have fast-forwarded to the start of each item.

Perhaps I should watch Midori again and compare her with Dong-Suk Kang on my Naxos CD.

I didn't have a problem with the final item, which I thought completed the process of raising one's spirits after the desolation of the Field Of The Dead, followed by the triumphantly patriotic conclusion to the Prokofiev.
                              But there again so do the audiences portray and give a 'Gosh, wasn't that fantastic'. They do this regardless of the performances but possibly there is an element of youthful exuberance causing this. No matter who or what is presented to them they are always very appreciative but like yourself, I wish that KD and CH wouldn't gush so much. Bring back Cormack Rigby et. al.
                              I have now watched my recording of the Walton and perhaps it wasn't that bad after all. The violin tone, or poor miking made the violin seem a bit anaemic at times although Midori seemed to put a lot of effort into the work a times. However, to me, it did not quite come off.

Comment

Was really looking forward to this concert but thought it a bit disappointing (watched on TV).
                                The Strauss pieces were superbly played.I'm no music critic but the Walton violin concerto (a favourite of mine) just didn't hit the spot for some reason .It was so quiet in parts that I was straining to hear.
                                Alexander Nevsky was interesting but I can live without hearing it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X