Prom 29: Friday 5th August at 7.30. p.m. (Mahler 2)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 29: Friday 5th August at 7.30. p.m. (Mahler 2)

Presented by Donald Macleod

In one of the most eagerly anticipated Proms of the season the Simon Bolivar Symphony Orchestra returns to the Royal Albert Hall to perform Mahler's epic 'Resurrection' Symphony.

Formed from pupils of Venezuela's El Sistema programme, an initiative that offers every child a free musical education, the players have been performing together since childhood, and have lit up concert halls around the world with their technical skill, passion and deep musicality - as their concert master violinist Alejandro Carreno says: "for us this isn't a job, not even a concert, for us music is all of life". Tonight under the baton of fellow El Sistema alumni Gustavo Dudamel they team up with the young singers of the National Youth Choir of Great Britain and distinguished soloists to perform a colossus of the repertoire. Written for vast forces, Mahler's symphony takes a journey from the graveside, asks the question 'is there life after death?' and ends with a triumphant promise of eternal life. It's a work Alejandro Carreno and all the orchestra love, "Mahler's music is so descriptive, the atmosphere it creates is like that of an opera. We hugely enjoy playing his music."

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 in C minor 'Resurrection'

Miah Persson (soprano)
    Anna Larsson (mezzo-soprano)
    National Youth Choir of Great Britain
    Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela
    Gustavo Dudamel (conductor)

I eventually managed to get a decent stalls seat for this. Not too sure what to expect; it could either be a monumental failure or one of the Proms of the season.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I eventually managed to get a decent stalls seat for this. Not too sure what to expect; it could either be a monumental failure or one of the Proms of the season.
      Thought I'd bump this up to the top. Any thoughts? Any other boarders going?

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Thought I'd bump this up to the top. Any thoughts? Any other boarders going?
        I'll be there (in the front of the circle). I saw Dudamel with the LA Phil at the Barbican in Mahler's 9th earlier in the year, and whilst it was good, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. But am interrupting a house move to see the Simón Bolívar (and Nigel Kennedy on Saturday night), so they had better be the business!

Comment

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
          I'll be there (in the front of the circle). I saw Dudamel with the LA Phil at the Barbican in Mahler's 9th earlier in the year, and whilst it was good, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. But am interrupting a house move to see the Simón Bolívar (and Nigel Kennedy on Saturday night), so they had better be the business!
          I've been to several memorable Mahler 2's at the Proms over the years (Abbado, Haitink, both twice, Rattle, Ozawa) so with hotel bills, train fares I'd echo that 'this had better be the business'.

Comment

Expecting this to be "echt Mahler" (or whatever phrase it is that the cognoscenti use) strikes me as a recipe for disappointment. So I'm not going to. It's reasonable to expect that it won't sound like just another day at the office for top professional orchestra x, and as long as that expectation is met I'll be happy. Mind you, from the perspective of "stuck on Finsbury Park station in the early hours on the way back from the BBCSSO's rather good French Prom" as I am, Mahler 2 played by the Bratislavan Fish Wives Orchestra on an off day might seem appealing...

Comment

Yes... could be "smoking keypads" on Friday night...
              Did anyone else hear Dudamel (with the Teresa Carreno Orchestra I think) on Berlin Phil DCH last October in Beethoven 5 and Prokofiev 5? Or RFH? (I'm confined to barracks here in Liverpool).
              Beethoven - tightly structured, magnificent, overwhelming, but still the sense of power controlled. Prokofiev - just too darn BIG, bloated and almost shapeless, despite the brilliance of the playing. (One always feels churlish criticising such a wonderful project!)

Wonder how many will be in the orchestra on Friday...

Comment

National Youth Choir of Great Britain
                can a youth choir produce as much volume as an adult choir? I guess so if there are enough of them.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  can a youth choir produce as much volume as an adult choir?
                  It seems unlikely. I don't understand why such a brilliant orchestra is performing with the National Youth Choir of Great Britain. It's not as if the Simón Bolívar is a youth orchestra.

Comment

I'm trying hard to fight back the feeling that this won't be for me !

How well I remember nights on Finsbury park station as I sought a connection
                    to Hertford North !

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      can a youth choir produce as much volume as an adult choir? I guess so if there are enough of them.
                      What is the age range of the NYCoGB? The male voices need to be sufficiently into adulthood to rather spoil the title I would have thought. I'm still undecided about my expectations for this Prom. My original feeling was to avoid like the plague but as I wanted to go to the following two, decided to go anyway.

Comment

I'm contemplating going up to London for this - which would be my first attendance at a Prom in several years. Apart from the work itself, and the fame of the performers , it was Dudamel's perfomance with the LASO of Mahler 1, broadcast just the other day on Sarah Walker's CC, that prompted this idea. It fizzed with energy and I thought his take on the Laendler had real Bauernschmalz.

The forecast is for fine weather. Can anyone here suggest what time to get to the Arena queue in order to get in? I don't care where I stand, I'd just like to get in...!

BW, kb

Comment

Originally posted by Ravensbourne View Post
                          It's not as if the Simón Bolívar is a youth orchestra.
                          Interesting point, that. My understanding is that it's broadly the same personnel who played in the roof-raising, jacket-throwing Shostakovich 10 Prom - they've just dropped the word "youth" ("juvenil") from the Orchestra's name this year, a branding thing and of course to reflect the greater maturity of the band. But they are still young people.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

NYCGB has an age range of 16-22. And I believe there are going to be around 180 singers, so a fairly decent sized choir...

Comment

What great music!

Comment

Working...
                              X