No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of some interest to audiences ... ?

The D-G has just indicated that he wants to hear from his customers/bosses

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

A call to individuals, I would imagine
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Well, I've registered .......

Comment

I have too. I want to help shape the future of the BBC.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I have registered too

Comment

I, also/me too.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            The D-G has just indicated that he wants to hear from his customers
            Noted. Registered.

He has already heard from this customer though.

FYI there is an additional email address for TH's office:

Date: 7 October 2013 15:24:59 GMT+01:00

Subject: Your email to Tony.Hall@bbc.co.uk

This email account is only closely monitored between 9.30am and 5.30pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays). If your message is urgent, and has been sent outside of those times, please resend it to TonyHallandPA@bbc.co.uk.

Aux claviers, Citoyens!!!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Some significant announcements in the speech. Note the focus on iPlayer. Equals TV only. Radio didn't get a mention. Or could the planned abolition of radio from iPlayer be on hold?

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                the planned abolition of radio from iPlayer
                W-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-whaaaaaaat?
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

Some significant announcements in the speech. Note the focus on iPlayer. Equals TV only. Radio didn't get a mention. Or could the planned abolition of radio from iPlayer be on hold?

Russ
                    you are joking?
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

News that Radio 1 is to get its own iPlayer channel http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24423062

I wondered why it was the only radio station mentioned on that link page.

Comment

Or could the planned abolition of radio from iPlayer be on hold?

Russ

There was until this summer a very useful internet device called "Radio Downloader". This gave the user the facility to download all BBC radio programmes in a few seconds (ie not streamed). They could then be stored for later playback. I used this a lot by copying the programmes to a memory stick for playback in the car. At the end of June the BBC demanded that this be stopped, but it was generally believed at the time that they intended to offer the facility themselves in 2014. There has been a deafening silence from the BBC on this topic recently, and tocday's news does nothing to reassure me.

Mr Hall will be hearing from me. I too have registered.

Comment

mangerton, "Radio Downloader" was by no means the only such program. I have reason to believe that at least one other is still functional.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            mangerton, "Radio Downloader" was by no means the only such program. I have reason to believe that at least one other is still functional.
                            Yes, this seems to be so. It makes one wonder why the BBC came down so heavily (apparently) on R D.

It occurs to me, btw, that the answer to the BBC's question "wherenext?" appears to be "further up the creek".

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              W-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-whaaaaaaat?
                              It's a long, sad story. Eric Huggers, then Director of BBC FM&T, first articulated the plan to seperate the 'TV & iPlayer' and the 'Radio & Music' products in late 2010. Since then, the new Radio 'product' has developed slowly, with much of the development being retrograde, and of course expensive. The proposed integration of 'music' in the 'Radio & Music' product never really took off, probably due to lack of money or the whole budget being blown on a pointless demolition of the old station programme websites and the disastrous re-interrogation of iPlayer programme metadata. The latest date announced for the planned demise of radio from iPlayer was "the end of 2012", but BBC answers to the strategic question remain elusive or evasive, and it is clear that there are divided opinions and agendas within the BBC on this matter, and complicating factors since 2010 have been changes in goalposts on both the technology and consumption pattern, in particular the dramatic increase in mobile consumption. Also of significance is the apparent cessation of technical development of RadioPlayer, the consortium with whom the BBC shares what seems to be a difficult relationship. The future choice for the BBC is therefore difficult - either ditch RadioPlayer (politically fraught) or do an expensive about-turn and start dismantling 3 years' development of the current radio product. Ralph Rivera, a reincarnated Darth Vader with a lobotomy, is supposed to be managing this, but seems unable to register the matter let alone speak about it coherently, so maybe the new Tony Hall vision will now help to clear the air. Helen Boaden might announce something at an upcoming radio conference, but I suspect she will keep her head below the parapet and merely stick to the headlines of the Hall speech.

Russ

Comment

Working...
                              X