X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fault reported.

Russ

Comment

Not much of a surprise, perhaps, but the survey isn't asking questions I would like it to. Apart from the proposed 'Open Minds', which seems to be merely another technical aggregrator function based on a BBC editorial choice (probably no more than grandiose 'pick of the week' sort of thing), radio and radio content don't seem to get a mention, do they?

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        I've only looked at the first page, it's multiple choice of course but I think that's better than - on a scale of 1 to 10 option?
        It's what we write in the box that is important ..... unless of course that is discarded because it cannot be classified on the Dipstick's scale and requires someone outsourced on the minimum wage in Watford to precis it and .... present it to the DG? Really? I'm not convinced that they want to hear anything they don't want to hear.
        I'm sure you're right. I got my invitation yesterday, and spent some time looking at the questions yesterday evening. I soon had to apply a wet towel to my fevered brow. Haven't the jargon writers been busy? That's another thing that irks me - we've paid for them, and it's a safe bet that they're not on minimum wage.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
          Not much of a surprise, perhaps, but the survey isn't asking questions I would like it to. Apart from the proposed 'Open Minds', which seems to be merely another technical aggregrator function based on a BBC editorial choice (probably no more than grandiose 'pick of the week' sort of thing), radio and radio content don't seem to get a mention, do they?
          I've just completed it, totally agree with Russ, it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Only Radio 1 gets a mention. As mangerton says, it's a load of jargons (!) Of course all the proposals are envisaged for the future based on the assumption that we will be accessing the BBC digitally via smartphones, apps, internet tvs, etc. I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about this while highspeed broadband and DAB reception in large parts of the country (there was a map posted by I think Gordon on another thread) are dismal to non-existent.

Comment

I submitted my email address in order to get a pdf (?) of what I said. Totally grumpy because most of it was about TV and younger people. I just said 'apple pie and motherhood' about the general aspirations. I think I managed a scintilla of enthusiasm about the Open Minds thing. Basically I'm already a soul lost to the BBC and unlikely ever to be tempted back.

Everything is always wrapped in enthusiasm and hyperbole which I find withers interest.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Totally grumpy because most of it was about TV and younger people.
              And when I had finished I felt like an ancient old dinosaur, as being over 34 I didn't count - I have become invisible - I might as well start dressing in beige cardigans and seek professional help for my Radio 3 habit ...

Comment

There was also that enthusiasm for 'big events'. I said I thought that these often just resulted in overkill ... If something needs to be 'big', okay; but no point in making them bigger than the're worth. Not sure what I could have been thinking of
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

is this new, or all part of the same thing ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    is this new, or all part of the same thing ?

https://consultations.external.bbc.c...two_three_four
                    It's different. These are service licence reviews similar to the Trust's review of Radio 3, about which certains kicked up a fuss and are still doing so

Each channel has its own service licence, setting out what it should do. Then, at regular intervals (they only started in 2007) each individual service is reviewed and its performance and any future plans put forward by management are solemnly considered. There is a public consultation at the same time (which seems to be what you have linked to). Then the Trust gets out its rubber stamp and stamps it DONE. All obligations fulfilled.

Comment

>> All obligations fulfilled

Or you can manipulate a majority of the people most of the time ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                        >> All obligations fulfilled

Or you can manipulate a majority of the people most of the time ?

'Far be it from my heart the thought thereof.' I haven't really been satisfied with the Trust's review system which consists of three elements:

1. The submission from the relevant management, the content of which is exempt under the BBC's special FOIA derogation

2. Submissions by interested organisations and a public consultation which are published online in toto or in report form (drawn up by private agencies).

3. Audience research.

Based on this information, the Trust decides whether the service performance has been satisfactory and whether management proposals (unpublished) should be endorsed. In the case of Radio 1, I am aware that the Trust directed the station to focus on a younger audience (under 30s with programming for younger teenagers). I think this was as a result of representations from the commercial sector that Radio 1 was competing with commercials by attracting older listeners. My memory is that some while back it reduced its target to the 15-24s but in doing so, obviously, it lost part of its audience.

From our point of view, we registered a formal complaint with the Trust that their review of Radio 3 was flawed on three grounds:

1. That the public and interested parties were unable to challenge the proposals of management since they weren't permitted to know them ['Tough, we've got an exemption, right?']

2. That the Trust's decision did not reflect the published evidence which, even in ignorance of these proposals, suggested industry and audiences would be against them.

3. There was a general bias in the consultation methodology which led some respondents to 'agree' with the proposals (i.e. suggested that they would have agreed if they had known what they were).

The snag is that any such complaint about the Trust has to be formally submitted to ... the Trust. They replied to our detailed arguments with a reply on behalf of the Trust Director saying he had read our document but the Trust had nothing further to add.

Haven't given up ...

Comment

i have ... given up ... the BBC is just too old and set in its history to improve much or lose its inherent sense of superiority .... they cluck away to each other in a private auntspeak that only grants pesonhood to those more equal ... Hall is just another spin on the table .... the challenge is not to rethink the BBC but ask anew why do we need public service broadcasting and what should it be .... only clean slate thinking is of any relevance to us now ... the single best thing to do with the BBC is to close it ... sell it to the French Railways
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                          X