• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Adam Smith Institute and ISOS

Just to assert that not all fifteen-year-olds have the attention span of a flea, one of my g-kids has gone off on a coach (at 4am ) to the following:

[The] Independent Seminar on the Open Society (ISOS) is a one-day conference for sixth-form students which explores the principles and practicalities of a free, open and tolerant society, whilst meshing with A-level and AS syllabuses in politics and economics.

I have two questions:

i. Should I be worried that Mrs Thatcher reputedly carried The Wealth of Nations in her handbag?

ii. Might a few minutes seem a very long time to a flea?
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    How many times a day, on average, does a flea look at its phone?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Just to assert that not all fifteen-year-olds have the attention span of a flea, one of my g-kids has gone off on a coach (at 4am ) to the following:

[The] Independent Seminar on the Open Society (ISOS) is a one-day conference for sixth-form students which explores the principles and practicalities of a free, open and tolerant society, whilst meshing with A-level and AS syllabuses in politics and economics.

I have two questions:

i. Should I be worried that Mrs Thatcher reputedly carried The Wealth of Nations in her handbag?

Is this an invitation to discuss the activities of the ASI, Ards?

personally, I wouldn't have been at all happy if my kids' state schools were promoting visits to this seminar, unless there was some serious balance going on with visits elsewhere.

a few minutes can be a long time in politics, as well as in the life of a flea, I guess.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        personally, I wouldn't have been at all happy if my kids' state schools were promoting visits to this seminar......"
        I'm sure your kids could've handled it and worked out what to think, one way or the other themselves, without a fretting parent.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          I'm sure your kids could've handled it and worked out what to think, one way or the other themselves, without a fretting parent.
          that isn't the point though.

perhaps they would have been just as well off on a course about how to deal with fretting parents.

(fwiw, I would have been keen to see my kids exposed to a wide range of political ideas, rather than just the "three shades of blue" orthodoxy, and that would include libertaian thinking....so that they could do as you suggest and work things out for themselves).
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

the "three shades of blue" orthodoxy
            Even that would surely be preferable to 16.6* times that number of shades of another non-primary colour, wouldn't it?...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

that isn't the point though.

perhaps they would have been just as well off on a course about how to deal with fretting parents.

(fwiw, I would have been keen to see my kids exposed to a wide range of political ideas, rather than just the "three shades of blue" orthodoxy, and that would include libertaian thinking....so that they could do as you suggest and work things out for themselves).
              The point is that the seminar will be very useful if they are studying A Level Economics, or similar.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

well she may have humped the book in her bag but i doubt she ever read it ... Adam Smith would be too wet and not 'one of us'

yep send them all to such seminars, the sooner we all realise how elusive truth is and how hard to establish the better!

parents who fret have only themselves to blame, offspring's resilience depends on their autonomy ...
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  Even that would surely be preferable to 16.6* times that number of shades of another non-primary colour, wouldn't it?...
                  teamsaint was being generous, ah.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                    Adam Smith would be too wet and not 'one of us'
                    Exactly. And even He (the capital H being advisory) only got it part-right.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

parents who fret have only themselves to blame, offspring's resilience depends on their autonomy ...

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

parents fret partly because there is a whole system in place telling them to fret.

Visit you local state junior school for details.

(and check the childrens dept of your local waterstones , etc etc etc etc).

Edit: incidentally, the concern I stated was not about kids being exposed to what the ASI has to say ,but about offering similar opportunities in other areas of philosophical thought and political theory.
                        Last edited by teamsaint; 19-11-14, 19:25.

Comment

Working...
                        X