• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 is officially ‘unachievable’ after being given red rating

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...don-birmingham

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Yes - there does seem to be a problem - possibly a very big one, but isn't that likely to have happened anyway even without "capitalism"?
      No. Capitalism, to not fall into crisis, needs to grow exponentially, and is unique in this regard compared to other historic systems. The trouble as far as I can see it that even should capitalism maintain this level of growth that in itself has catastrophic consequences - not in capitalist logic, but certainly for the Earth and its inhabitants.

Comment

Shaving 5 minutes off each journey is not going to help if in the end it turns out that trains will not be able to run to the fairly tight timetables proposed anyway.
        And will be completely irrelevant if, as seems likely at present, passengers won't be able to make onward journeys from the station they end up at.

Comment

Thanks for posting that Guardian article, Pulcinella. I was unaware of these recent problems, but not surprised. Anyone who's followed major Civil Engineering jobs could see that HS2 faced massive problems. The ten-mile tunnel under the South Manchester suburbs looked unlikely. I predicted HS2 would stop at Crewe. We'll see.

Comment

Yet another reason to look at a pre-Beeching map of Britain's railways and emit a lengthy sigh.

Comment

Working...
            X