Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancer cases in under 50's

<<<"The number of under-50s worldwide being diagnosed with cancer has risen by nearly 80% in three decades, according to the largest study of its kind.
    Global cases of early onset cancer increased from 1.82 million in 1990 to 3.26 million in 2019, while cancer deaths of adults in their 40s, 30s or younger grew by 27%. More than a million under-50s a year are now dying of cancer, the research reveals.">>>

bong ching

Global population increased by ~50% over the same period which accounts for much of the increase.

The article does not mention what has happened to deaths due to infectious disease, violence, and other traditional causes of death in the young. The former decreased by 40% over the same period.

The numbers are not quite as worrying as might first meet the eye.

source:
    View and download updated estimates of the world’s health for 369 diseases and injuries and 87 risk factors from 1990 to 2019 in this interactive tool.

Comment

Thanks, Duncan , for that balancing view. I often feel that sensational headlines fail to tell the full story. For instance, I'm sure many people died from cancer in the 20th-century simply because they were living long enough to show symptoms; in earlier centuries , simply, people died earlier.

In the same way, (apologies to eighthobstruction if this is digressing) I felt that the media's obsession with posting the daily deaths from covid in 2020 as a news-grabbling headline wouldn't have looked so sensational if they put them in context with deaths from heart disease, lung cancer and road accidents.

Comment

Yes, thanks Duncan....
        bong ching

Comment

What is sad is that once serious and sensible newspapers now use the sort of sensationalist headlines (and often writing style) that used to be the preserve of the Red Tops.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
            Global population increased by ~50% over the same period which accounts for much of the increase.

The article does not mention what has happened to deaths due to infectious disease, violence, and other traditional causes of death in the young. The former decreased by 40% over the same period.
            Quite so. This is the kind of clickbait you'd associate with the Daily M*** rather than a media outlet with any integrity. Oh, I see that Mike has already said the same thing.

Anyway, having left my 50s behind I guess I'm safe now.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
              Quite so. This is the kind of clickbait you'd associate with the Daily M*** rather than a media outlet with any integrity. Oh, I see that Mike has already said the same thing.

Anyway, having left my 50s behind I guess I'm safe now.
              Once you get to 75, you will be even better off. In the UK, some tests for cancer are no longer offered once you reach that age. This must surely be because the risk of cancer recedes with age, e.g. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bowel-cancer-screening/.

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                What is sad is that once serious and sensible newspapers now use the sort of sensationalist headlines (and often writing style) that used to be the preserve of the Red Tops.
                So very true. I commented some years ago that some of the Daily Telegraph's headlines sounded as though they were written by a sulky teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Once you get to 75, you will be even better off. In the UK, some tests for cancer are no longer offered once you reach that age. This must surely be because the risk of cancer recedes with age, e.g. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bowel-cancer-screening/.
                  Would that it were. Dad died of bowel cancer age 89. I've no idea why the screening stops at 75.

Comment

I recently had a cancer scare where my dentist found a white blob in my mouth and referred me to a cancer unit, they found it was no longer there and was peobably just a calcium build up which the mouth ejects after sometime. I stopped dreaming of lottery wins and just wanted to see my son grow up. Cancer is scary eh
                    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post

Would that it were. Dad died of bowel cancer age 89. I've no idea why the screening stops at 75.
                      Quite! Maybe the government simply considers those over 75 as, to some extent, expendable.

Comment

[
                        Maybe the government simply considers those over 75 as, to some extent, expendable
                        This may answer some of the questions raised:

It includes this statement: "If you're 75 or over, you can ask for a kit every 2 years by phoning the free bowel cancer screening helpline on 0800 707 60 60."

Elsewhere a web search as to why screening stops at 74 suggests that the risks of adverse complications of screening colonoscopy outweigh the benefits in this age group.
                        Last edited by Old Grumpy; 14-09-23, 22:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          [

This may answer some of the questions raised:

It includes this statement: "If you're 75 or over, you can ask for a kit every 2 years by phoning the free bowel cancer screening helpline on 0800 707 60 60."

Elsewhere a web search as to why screening stops at 74 suggests that the risks of adverse complications of screening colonoscopy outweigh the benefits in this age group.
                          Two points arise. Firstly, how many over the age of 74 will be aware of the option to order a test? By no means all will read beyond the instructions on how to carry out the sampling, especially after previous tests as they age, Secondly, the section in the item linked to reads:

Risks

Bowel cancer screening might:
                          • cause complications, for example, during or after colonoscopy
                          • miss a cancer if it was not bleeding when you used the FIT kit
                          It is important to be aware of the symptoms of bowel cancer even if you have screening. No screening test is 100% effective. If you do not need further tests after using the FIT kit this does not guarantee that you do not have bowel cancer, or that it will never develop in the future.

No screening test is completely effective. In bowel cancer screening this is because:
                          • a polyp or cancer can sometimes be missed if it was not bleeding when the screening test was taken (a ‘false negative’ result)
                          • bowel cancer may develop in between screening tests
                          It is clear that the risks are associated with either the further investigation, if blood is found, or a failure of the initial test to detect blood due to the timing of the test. Not carrying out a test in the first place, surely carries rather higher risks, in both cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Two points arise. Firstly, how many over the age of 74 will be aware of the option to order a test? By no means all will read beyond the instructions on how to carry out the sampling, especially after previous tests as they age, Secondly, the section in the item linked to reads:

It is clear that the risks are associated with either the further investigation, if blood is found, or a failure of the initial test to detect blood due to the timing of the test. Not carrying out a test in the first place, surely carries rather higher risks, in both cases.

Comment

Working...
                            X