Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insofar....

....insofar........a funny old word....well, not a word but a phrase hmmmm.....makes me laugh/smile....when ever i read or hear it i know someone is trying to explain something to me.....do they know that 75% of my mind is going "la la la la la"?? : insofar of the extent or ability i have to understand....
    bong ching

While doing some coastal walking in Cornwall, a year or two back, I asked a man working on a fence if he thought I could get to the local pub before it closed after lunch.

'Oh, insofar', he said....

Comment

....but also a preposition (whatever that is) and adverb....in good English in so far ....but increasingly being pushed together....it makes no odds to me, but, who made this phrase in the first place??
      bong ching

Comment

... worrabout inasmuch ?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... worrabout inasmuch ?
          ....I'll give it my attention directly....
          bong ching

Comment

....I like it that both are often followed by 'as', but, they [who ever they be] don't go as far as - insofaras or inasmuchas....
            bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... worrabout inasmuch ?
              Inasmuch: About 3 occurrences per million words in modern English. The earliest known use of the adverb inasmuch is in the Middle English period (1150—1500). OED's earliest evidence for inasmuch is from around 1380, in English Wycliffite Sermons.

​Insofar: About 7 occurrences per million words in modern English. The earliest known use of the adverb insofar is in the Middle English period (1150—1500). OED's earliest evidence for insofar is from before 1464, in the writing of John Capgrave, prior of Bishop's Lynn, theologian, and historian.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

....Oh we've got the big guns weighing in now - with the proper stuff....
                bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  ....Oh we've got the big guns weighing in now - with the proper stuff....
                  Everything You Always Wanted to Know About ... (and a lot you didn't).
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

... I still worry about nevertheless and notwithstanding

Comment

...who do you think you are coming in here with your thick books with smallwriting and er-oo-dition....and knowing things in the proper way....( as a friend used to say -"if they are so b' clever, why ain't they rich")....

....gosh I almost used the word opined....but stopped myself just in time....
                      bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        ( as a friend used to say -"if they are so b' clever, why ain't they rich")....

....gosh I almost used the word opined....but stopped myself just in time....
                        Great thread
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

....Notwithstanding what a good thread this is; I'd give it all insofar someone might place a bacon sandwich or bowl of porrige in front of me; inasmuch that my Spinozian leanings nevertheless never stop me from being a little lazy. Is that far from being much of a muchness....am I asking too much??
                          bong ching

Comment

Q Where is the remote control?

​​​​​​A Insofa.

Comment

bong ching

Comment

Working...
                              X