Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infrastructure

This article about infrastructure is interesting.

The long read: Utilitarian as they may be, some civic projects are so monumental they approach the sublime. And one of the most elegant is hidden inside a mountain in Wales

Seems that it's no longer possible to visit this impressive engineering site.

Yes, I often think industrial architecture is underrated compared with ecclesiastical or stately homes. Pevsner tended to assume that churches , any churches, are automatically more interesting than railway stations or airports. There's a row of derelict coke ovens somewhere in Staffordshire that is as remarkable to me as the Taj Mahal. I was amused when Anita Rani said 'what would your reaction be if you discovered that a building you admired was associated with the nefarious slave trade? ' Well, that's the Acropolis and the Taj Mahal demolished for a start; they were built by slaves.

Comment

Agree - intact or indeed partly ruined industrial buildings can be fascinating. The mill at Saltaire is a good example [there is also an Early Music Shop nearby https://earlymusicshop.com/ ]

Discovery + channels on TV have some great programmes about industrial architecture and railway architecture - if you can put up with the adverts and trails, that is!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        Agree - intact or indeed partly ruined industrial buildings can be fascinating. The mill at Saltaire is a good example [there is also an Early Music Shop nearby https://earlymusicshop.com/ ]

Discovery + channels on TV have some great programmes about industrial architecture and railway architecture - if you can put up with the adverts and trails, that is!
        The Saltaire mill is indeed interesting though probably only a few people visit it, but most of us are indebted to the Dinorwig site which keeps the electricity grid going through the periods when some of us boil up kettles during TV adverts. So one case is interesting - perhaps because of its past, whereas the other is also interesting and has additionally been important to much of our daily lives for several decades.

I don't think the Dinorwig site is being decomissioned, though if it is it would be good to know about that.

Comment

Working...
        X