No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just another old record

Play it again.

Daniel Barenboim & West-Eastern Divan Live in Geneva: Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Verdi | Full Concert - YouTube

And still playing after all these years. The music goes on.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

One light amid darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Thanks f f. I got a look at that update, without joining Fb

Comment

More to play

Voktett Hannover & VOCES8: Agnus Dei (Samuel Barber) - YouTube

Comment

Variation on a theme.

'We can't stop' - the Israeli woman still helping sick Palestinians - BBC News

Comment

What do I want?

Bach's Mass in B minor – Dona nobis pacem (Bach Collegium Japan) - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                What do I want?

Imagine a college chapel in the early fifties with a congregation of boys 12 - 17 - there's young Heaney over there - struggling their way through some dreaded Gregorian Chant. The Latin words are easy though the tune grates at times, but the Amen is gratefully achieved and perfectly executed. It's The Gloria from Mass of the Angels, a then unappreciated prayer for peace at Christmas. Let us sing it once more and mean it this time.

missa VIII de angelis Gloria - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Imagine a college chapel in the early fifties with a congregation of boys 12 - 17 - there's young Heaney over there - struggling their way through some dreaded Gregorian Chant. The Latin words are easy though the tune grates at times, but the Amen is gratefully achieved and perfectly executed. It's The Gloria from Mass of the Angels, a then unappreciated prayer for peace at Christmas. Let us sing it once more and mean it this time.

missa VIII de angelis Gloria - YouTube
                  We had an EP of this sung by the monks of Benediktbeuern (where the Carmina burana manuscript was found). One of my favourite 'songs' back then! Yes, I've just found it: Archive Production of DG's History of Music Division, EPA 37112

Recorded 12.4.56
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

A few years ago DG Archiv issued some CD sets commemorating an anniversary of the label, one of which was a 3-disc set of Gregorian chant with original LP sleeves in miniature. There are times when listening to it makes everything else seem irrelevant.

Comment

My last idea is for a carol to mourn in some way the inordinate fate of mothers and babies in the Middle East conflict, by focussing on There is a Rose.

Es ist ein Ros entsprungen - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                      X