• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same Planet - Different Worlds

Building a C.V....https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...iwona-blazwick

Darning a Sock.... https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-into-degrowth
    bong ching

I'd be interested to see your comments on these.

Comment

It has always been thus. On the one hand uncaring conspicuous behaviour for personal and/or public gratification, on the other an attempt to mitigate the effects of one's life on the wider community, whether human or environment.
      The difficulty with the Saudi projects is that they go beyond simply imagining a life without limits to actually constructing it (although they are not alone in that it has to be said - limitless wealth has a dark side) as constraints do not apply.

Comment

...I think Rowan Moore did a very good job at taming a lot of information into an illuminating piece....
        ....ref Socks....i wear wool socks, I am a darner, and elbow patcher....I'm in favour of socks....allotments....second-hand things if well made etc, not flying....I don't think that Blazwick woman will be wearing any cast off from Next....take the money and run and say a few platitudes to cover....(that she may even believe)
        ....The world is not Avatar or the Legend of Zelda....not seen by CGI or at Drone height....not seen at 60Cdegree temps....Water .....how much water would be used on such projects....
        ....not at the level of 'vanity project' or mega level....now giga project....Noahs Ark for happy few (Elitist).....A lot cheaper to get it designed than built - and probably meant the buying of many a top range vehicle here in the West where most of the architects live (glad to hear there is some debate over this)

....What can one possibly say....really....what am I expected to say....each paragraph would need 3 paragraphs to reply to it....I don't like Mega -Arts, I do like small natural arts and Landscape being left alone....I don't like "pop-up Harvey Nichols" in the middle of deserts where the people who lived there have been removed /houses demolished.....second good quote was - "construction sites arecrime scenes...........Cultural change my ass....(if you read the whole pieces then it surely it must have made the mind tick tick)
        bong ching

Comment

I'm in stitches...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I'm in stitches...
            , as ever, S_A

Comment

Short documentary showing how, with ecological knowledge, positive external help and advice (for a change), indigenous Ethiopian farmers have succeeded in re-generating forestry in areas previously reduced to desert, largely as a result of overgrazing, using just picks, scythes and shovels. Not an excavator, power drill, chainsaw, bulldozer or even mobile phone in sight!

This country is has been making some large scale incredible transformations, restoring forests and farmland, turning a community from food aid dependent into...

It shows what can be achieved without resort to the more questionable advantages of "progress".

Comment

....Marvellous.....really wonderful....so helpful for Hope.....I wonder if such projects on larger scale would have an effect on Sea and ocean levels....Also I wonder what the natives used ref fuel for cooking - as it is often intense cutting for fuel that has caused the situation (besides local lack of rainfall)....Brillant S_A
                bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  ....Marvellous.....really wonderful....so helpful for Hope.....I wonder if such projects on larger scale would have an effect on Sea and ocean levels....Also I wonder what the natives used ref fuel for cooking - as it is often intense cutting for fuel that has caused the situation (besides local lack of rainfall)....Brillant S_A
                  Must admit the fuel question hadn't occurred to me, eighth. Dried cow dung? I suppose if a surplus in agricultural product could be sold that could pay for fuel to be brought in. There's a link to a further item on the above link I haven't yet watched - maybe that'll have something to say about it.

Edit: Sorry, the link is to a comparable project in Arizona, not Ethiopia. The presenter appears to be cultivating a powder puff on her hand-held!
                  Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 08-02-24, 00:29.

Comment

Working...
                  X