How Britain killed off its musical tribes?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Britain killed off its musical tribes?

Interesting if incomplete article on a matter which I have been thinking about for some time, and have contributed thoughts elsewhere on this forum:

Or as one commenter said:

"The reason Teddy Boys (50s) and Punk (70s) gained so much attention was because there was nothing else youth-driven for the kids to get behind!​"

Popular music seems to have become so fragmented that the tribes are too small to be noticed. Perhaps?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Interesting if incomplete article on a matter which I have been thinking about for some time, and have contributed thoughts elsewhere on this forum:

No SA - Metal will never die. Ever been to Download ? Went there with my son 15 years ago and emerged with tinnitus (despite wearing earplugs) and respect for the youth of that day who could teach a then fifty year old a thing or two about head-banging.
      And apart from Maiden and one or two Yank bands I didn’t like the music much.

Comment

....nobody got any money ....all the drafty drill halls and decaying municipal gazebo's all now full of rusty nails and rotten floors....unavailable due health and safety gone mad....ah the days of flopping down on a huge pile of punks black clothing decarded in the glee of ad hoc mosh pit of fighting action and friendly pushing.....Dah young folk today want to be to clean....all bloody taking up crochet stitching....can't even make coffee without a complicated machine....you can't go to a local sports centre and get a coffee on a saturday afternoon these days....ee days were you could measure how good a time you'd had by the sweat on the walls making Art as it ran down thro the layers of dust....ee you haven't lived - if all the carry on hadn't been carried out empty....(the problem came when trying to reclaim your black clothing amongst so much other black sub fusc detris in places with little direct light)....I don't think we ever saw a saxephone and most of the music sounded like drum kits being thrown down stairs....
        bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          you can't go to a local sports centre and get a coffee on a saturday afternoon these days
          You criticising me?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

You criticising me?
            ....as you know now my life is so bold and colourful these days, my sartorial splendour moved on from the drab of the gulag....to a delicate frail old man any coffee would have been like jet fuel in a deisel....blaa blaa blaa....
            bong ching

Comment

Well, getting back to the subject, the idea that Britain 'killed off' its musical tribes gives the impression that something valuable has been lost. Has it?

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Well, getting back to the subject, the idea that Britain 'killed off' its musical tribes gives the impression that something valuable has been lost. Has it?
                There doesn’t seem to be any slowing down of the supply of very bad pop music!

Comment

Maybe the absence of a public movement identified with a specific music genre is due to the same social change which has seen pubs and clubs close throughout Britain. It's easier to stay at home and do it on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    Maybe the absence of a public movement identified with a specific music genre is due to the same social change which has seen pubs and clubs close throughout Britain. It's easier to stay at home and do it on the internet.
                    Well I was going to suggest that a large slice of music listening is now done 'privately' via headphones and AirPods &c. That surely encloses people in their own non-social musical world for much of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                      ....and it leads to keyboards being the the main vehicle....with help from digital percussion.....it leads to the formulaic production of tunes/songs ( many tunes are just the pumping of a limited number of chords without decoration) Singing is changed too, voices are limited/pulled back to the level of speaking ....also the influence of Gaming Music

THis popped up several times lately on different platforms that I use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-k19yVmqI
                      bong ching

Comment

....also .....just quick thought (not thought about the concept much)....those mass movements were mostly 'white'....maybe multiculturalism plays a part....most music seems to be about entertainments like dancing/raving [and the govt created AoP's to control mass congregation....]....
                        bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post

....and it leads to keyboards being the the main vehicle....with help from digital percussion.....it leads to the formulaic production of tunes/songs ( many tunes are just the pumping of a limited number of chords without decoration) Singing is changed too, voices are limited/pulled back to the level of speaking ....also the influence of Gaming Music

THis popped up several times lately on different platforms that I use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-k19yVmqI
                          It's the four chord one-four-five-one blues formula turned into a predictable boring cadence but without the flattened intervals that could "threaten" chromatic de-stabilization of the everything's all right in the end signifier, re-inforcing what I said some time ago about pop music producing the most stuck harmonic idiom since feudal times that really gets to me. I'm sure a lot of those now decommissioned public uprights got worn out beyond repair as a consequence of discriminative selective key hyper-exploitation. For any classically qualified pianist to be teaching this must surely be tantamount to cultural pimping?

Comment

'decommissioned public uprights...'

You've reminded me of an incident at Piccadilly Station which might be relevant here. Forsyths had set up a piano on the concourse for people to play. A large man sat there and banged out relentless boogie-woogie music for some time , before he was approached by two police officers and led away. Several bystanders felt this was unfair and a woman next to me protested. I thought it best to remind her 'This is Manchester; they do things differently here.'

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

It's the four chord one-four-five-one blues formula turned into a predictable boring cadence but without the flattened intervals that could "threaten" chromatic de-stabilization of the everything's all right in the end signifier, re-inforcing what I said some time ago about pop music producing the most stuck harmonic idiom since feudal times that really gets to me. I'm sure a lot of those now decommissioned public uprights got worn out beyond repair as a consequence of discriminative selective key hyper-exploitation. For any classically qualified pianist to be teaching this must surely be tantamount to cultural pimping?
                              Those four chords in that incredibly irritating ad that pops up before every piano thing on YouTube are A maj, Emaj, F#minor and D major or if you prefer I,V,Vl,IV. He’s right : though I reckon I,Vl, ll, V is even commoner as a Tin Pan Alley sequence . That harmonic sequence underpins so many Broadway and pop hits like Time after Time, Last Christmas, Unchained Melody,There’s a Boat that’s Leaving For New York . The list is pretty endless . That sequence even opens the Missa Solemnis. It’s as old as the hills to be honest. Funnily enough the Beatles didn’t use it much - I Will is the only song that springs immediately to mind . One of things that marks them out as originals . But Jerome Kern for example uses it a lot …

Comment

Working...
                              X