Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    I find the way that some cyclists ignore traffic lights or mount the pavement to avoid them very dangerous and I don't understand why the police seem to utterly ignore them, when did this become ok? Riding a bike in London used to require that you obey traffic lights.
    Agreed, as a London cyclist. Rather like complying with 20mph behind the wheel, when I obey lights aboard the bike I sometimes feel like the only one who does. Words were exchanged once with a cyclist behind me who had a go because I dared to slow to a stop for a red light

And the closest I’ve come to accidents with other road users has been with Lycra-clad pedallers (or morons on electric scooters), not with cars or lorries
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

And the closest I’ve come to accidents ... has been with Lycra-clad pedallers (or morons on electric scooters)
      Now you've upset at least half the members of this forum - shame on you

Comment

I find the way that some cyclists ignore traffic lights or mount the pavement to avoid them very dangerous and I don't understand why the police seem to utterly ignore them, when did this become ok? Riding a bike in London used to require that you obey traffic lights.
        Those bloody fast food delivery cyclists are a menace! I, and a few others, had a near miss this morning when one of those creatures drove at full pelt through the green man at the bottom of Lothian Road and Princes Street at lunchtime! The problem is that you don’t hear them coming.

Comment

Originally posted by cria View Post
          **** them! Pedestrians and cyclists do NOT mix!

Comment

That said, I myself have done this on occasion, but only when it was quite clear there were no pedestrians where I was going. This assessment even applies when part of the pavement leading from say a pedestrian crossing has been marked up for cyclists' use. If I'm using a footpath short cut I'll always dismount if I see a pedestrian or group of pedestrians approaching from the opposite direction, even if they move to one side to let me through. I find such obvious but simple courtesies are nearly always acknowledged with smiles. I have shouted after cyclists who rush past me waiting at a red traffic light - words to the effect "It's people like you who give us cyclists a bad name". If there's any response to that it is usually a reverse v-sign. I worry that the swelling dictatorship of the cycletariat will be an excuse for politicians of all stripes to introduce compulsory insurance, road tax for cyclists who do far less damage to road surfaces than motorised traffic, or number plates which to be legible at distance will need to be wider than the average bike, thereby occupying more road space, and probably snag on trouser legs when mounting and dismounting.

Comment

Originally posted by cria View Post

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              **** them! Pedestrians and cyclists do NOT mix!

NB the said near-accidents were when I too was on my bicycle!

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

Those bloody fast food delivery cyclists are a menace! I, and a few others, had a near miss this morning when one of those creatures drove at full pelt through the green man at the bottom of Lothian Road and Princes Street at lunchtime! The problem is that you don’t hear them coming.
                If he (or she) hadn't driven at full pelt, it wouldn't have been fast food.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

If he (or she) hadn't driven at full pelt, it wouldn't have been fast food.
                  Isn’t there a contradiction - if you fast you don’t have food.

Comment

A very familiar scenario:

Comment

Working...
                    X