• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

63 UP

I've watched the 7-yearly programme following the lives of boys/men, girls/women.
    How sad that tonight's feeble effort had succumbed to the 'Goggle Box' tendency. It featured so-called celebs watching the programmes and commenting to camera. Hang on. The programme isn't about them!!!!

I can only hope the next two episodes will be different........but I doubt it.
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I've watched the 7-yearly programme following the lives of boys/men, girls/women.
    How sad that tonight's feeble effort had succumbed to the 'Goggle Box' tendency. It featured so-called celebs watching the programmes and commenting to camera. Hang on. The programme isn't about them!!!!

I can only hope the next two episodes will be different........but I doubt it.
    I don't think tonight's effort was the real thing? This article says that the update is 4,5 6 June.
    He wanted to be an astronaut but became a squatter, grouse-beater and Lib Dem councillor. As the Up series hits 63, the man whose story gripped a nation explains why he won’t be watching

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I admit to being confused by tonight's mish-mash, not least because I didn't know who half the 'celebs' were. Did it serve any useful purpose?

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Agreed. Utter bilge.

Was it billed as what it turned out to be?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          I don't think tonight's effort was the real thing? This article says that the update is 4,5 6 June.
          https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...tv-documentary

Tonight's programme was basically an extended "advert" for the three programmes Tues, Weds & Thurs - Michael Apted contributed to this "Gogglebox" but had little to do with it - he's back in charge for the proper programmes in the ongoing documentary.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

I admit to being confused by tonight's mish-mash, not least because I didn't know who half the 'celebs' were. Did it serve any useful purpose?
            This has put me right off watching this when I return to the UK. Whoever decided to use celebrities needs flogging.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              This has put me right off watching this when I return to the UK. Whoever decided to use celebrities needs flogging.
              No, no, no, no, no, Stanf (they'd probably only enjoy it) - ignore this preliminary confectionary, and watch the three real documentaries from later in the week.

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

I only saw 28 Up when It was first broadcast. I've just been catching up with the other programmes courtesy of youtube.

The overall impression the series leaves is one of profound sadness. I don't think any of the people featured are genuinely happy, though most of them deserve to be (I make an exception of the odious 'professional cock-er-nee and rentagob taxi-driver' Tony the Tosser). Bruce, Neil and (the sadly departed) Lynn were/are my favourites, though I suspect Neil is the person most viewers identify with.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

My sadness is that this COULD have been fascinating, and has withered into a series of laments.
                  One suspects that might be because the media loves a good black tragedy because it gets people to watch. eg road accidents

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

During my PGCE year, we were shown 7Up and 14Up. Both were excellent, but I'm not sure whether the sequels have been worthwhile.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

In the 'originals' the person asking the questions (Michael A ?) was not seen on screen; he was just asking questions out of sight. I'm prepared to give this week's offerings a go, but if it becomes obvious the focus is on presenters and comments from so-called celebs, then it will be obvious that the original and potentially fascinating mission (i.e. following individuals at 7-year intervals) has crash landed. And I'll reach for the off button.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

In the 'originals' the person asking the questions (Michael A ?) was not seen on screen; he was just asking questions out of sight. I'm prepared to give this week's offerings a go, but if it becomes obvious the focus is on presenters and comments from so-called celebs, then it will be obvious that the original and potentially fascinating mission (i.e. following individuals at 7-year intervals) has crash landed. And I'll reach for the off button.
                          I bet you £10 (to a Charity of your choice) that it won't be this, ardy.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

You're on Ferney. Children's Hospice Southwest will get a tenner from me if there isn't a celeb or intrusive presenter.

Actually, that sounds a bit mean-spirited. Maybe I'll send them a tenner anyway.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Well you were right Ferney. Excellent and sometimes touching programme. I just hope not too many people were deterred by Monday's travesty.

£10 on its way.

Comment

Working...
                              X