Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US UK Relations

AT least in tennis things are going pretty well. Is Serena an honorary Brit, or is Andy a reciprocal American?

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    AT least in tennis things are going pretty well. Is Serena an honorary Brit, or is Andy a reciprocal American?
    Andy Murray is British - until he loses, when he reverts to being Scottish, of course.

Comment

Let's face it, the UK ambassador to the US of A was well out of order. His role is to lie for his country, not to tell the truth to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Let's face it, the UK ambassador to the US of A was well out of order. His role is to lie for his country, not to tell the truth to it.

Comment

Boris spoke with uncommon care: foot in two countries?

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
            Boris spoke with uncommon care: foot in two countries?
            Makes a change from his mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Makes a change from his mouth.
              He doesn't use his mouth to speak.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Well, all I can say is that I am getting emails today from friends in USA who accord with and applaud pretty near on every word of UK Ambassador's private briefing.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Well, all I can say is that I am getting emails today from friends in USA who accord with and applaud pretty near on every word of UK Ambassador's private briefing.
                  They're too late: he's resigned the post!

Comment

Doesn't invalidate his words to HM Govt, nor some US citizens endorsing them.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Doesn't invalidate his words to HM Govt, nor some US citizens endorsing them.
                      Indeed, it doesn't!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        They're too late: he's resigned the post!
                        I think he knew that once BJ had weaselled around the latest Trump leak/outburst, the UK's servility to the US Admin was confirmed, and especially once BJ has become PM....
                        In the circumstances, it was good of Hunt to stand up to Trump and support Darroch on Twitter, but he won't be PM, so.........

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          I think he knew that once BJ had weaselled around the latest Trump leak/outburst, the UK's servility to the US Admin was confirmed, and especially once BJ has become PM....
                          In the circumstances, it was good of Hunt to stand up to Trump and support Darroch on Twitter, but he won't be PM, so.........

Comment

I'm increasingly grateful that I've spent much of my life living in a country that, by and large, enjoyed some self-respect in its own eyes and those of others. Yes, Suez was a dreadful mistake, for example, but at least we didn't act at the USA's behest. Arrogance is arguably less harmful to a country than craven subservience.

I'm happy to let the BBC's North America correspondent Nick Bryant, who certainly knows more about this than I do, to make my point for me:
                            There's never been parity in the special relationship between the UK and the US - it's never been a relationship of equals but right now it seems particularly lopsided

But this whole episode greatly increases the likelihood of a wonderful post-Brexit trade deal - well, wonderful for one of the parties at any rate.
                            Last edited by LMcD; 10-07-19, 17:33.

Comment

I hope Johnson's explicit and very public refusal to back Our Man in Washington gets him seriously bashed in Tory country. I thought that was simply appalling.
                              Had US friends in touch who are aghast at Johnson's comments - and explicit lack of support, and they endorse every word of Darroch's briefings to UK govt. - even more so now.

Crikey. What a world we are sort of living in. And to think that 169k Tories have such power to elect someone like Johnson when there are more than a few on the same benches whose judgement even I would trust more than Johnson's .....
                              ...............what kind of bashing he'll get in any future divisions in parliament, or his party at national elections remains to be seen.

Truly looks like the end of the Tory party as we know it.

.......................And as for Labour's 'unity'.......? Ahem!
                              Last edited by DracoM; 10-07-19, 22:07.

Comment

Working...
                              X