Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus

Any concerns/panic on your side of the pond? We are in full blown panic mode over here. Trump’s response is unbelievably inept and narcissistic, even by his standards. The only good thing about it is his anemic response is probably the straw that will be his downfall. People here didn’t care about the impeachment, but we sure give a damn about getting sick and watching our retirement savings get wiped out.
    As a Primary Care Physician working in an underserved area of Chicago, where more than half of our Patients are not native to the U.S.(6 blocks away from Chinatown), it’s only inevitable that I will become infected . I’ve already been ill 3 times this Winter and I now mask for every patient. Hopefully it will be just a bad cold, not Viral Pneumonia, and I am already planning my playlist of music for my enforced two week convalescence—suggestions welcome, please.
    We were planning to Vacation in Germany in the Fall, as I was hoping to purchase tickets to see the Berliner Philharmoniker, the Batavian Radio Symphony, Dresden Staatkapelle and possibly the new Hamburg Elbephilharmonie, but who knows what will be the story then?

....sorry to hear of your dilemmas Richard....Hmmmm....wash those hands etc....you of all people will know the routine....

Here I am wondering what is happening about written info and advice....indeed demands, on people flying to come to UK....traveklling in any fashion to UK. Are they getting the info to self isolate etc etc or they just moving into this country without info/advice,. immediately flowing into the masses. As an First World Island we should be better prepared than other countries....I was wondering if any one has travelled abroad and come back in the last 2 weeks (from forum/friends of ) what was said /given to them on return....
    bong ching

Comment

I have detected no panic in the rural SW of GB. People are on the alert, I suppose, that's all. Mrs A and I are going to work in France this coming week, and we wonder, if things get anxious on either side of the Channel, whether we might end up staying longer than we expected. We can but hope....

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        ....sorry to hear of your dilemmas Richard....Hmmmm....wash those hands etc....you of all people will know the routine....
        +1

Sorry also to hear this. My dad, who lives in Michigan, has asked me a few times about how it's being dealt with over here. It's not as bad as over in the States, from the sounds of it.

Comment

Alert but not panicking generally hear albeit my 8 year old suggested to his teacher this week that a girl in his class should go home and be testing as she had all the symptoms ! The girl in question wisely told him she had a cold.

Comment

Like others, alert but no panic. Concern is more whether our overstretched NHS will really be able to cope in the event of a major epidemic and if our inept Prime Minister has got the leadership qualities to deal with a crisis of this magnitude.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

If this thread generates more than two hundred replies then Houston we have a problem and need to consider our desert island/quarantine discs and poems. The Prime Minister's low key attitude, but with a note of caution seems to be about the right approach so far.

Comment

The Raab came over with calm confidence and ready answers on the Marred programme this morning. What nobody sems to be telling us is what to do if we get the virus, which is worrying if like me you live alone: is it treatable with the usual for colds and flu - Aspirin, Night Nurse, Lemsip, Vick Rub, etc etc? It would be nice to know.

I've only seen one person around here wearing a face mask - and that was 4 days ago.

Comment

My partner is currently in Florence, due to fly back on 11 March, and is monitoring the situation closely. He has sensibly abandoned plans to visit friends who live in the Veneto region, only 15 km from one of the lockdown areas. He has also changed plans to attend a business meeting in person on his return, but will take part remotely (video link). He is of the opinion that he'll probably be most at risk on the flight home and the train back from London, and intends taking a taxi rather than the Docklands railway and tube from City airport to King's Cross. We have a freezer full of food and our Brexit stock cupboard if he feels the need to self-isolate on return. Restaurants in Florence are virtually empty, he reports.

Comment

I read the following online and it did not come with a source, so I can make no claims for its veracity. However, it does appear to be a very sensible descriptor of what people need to know in terms of understanding and rationalising the condition:

"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS

Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

SPREAD THE WORD NOT THE VIRUS"

Comment

Originally posted by StephenMcK View Post
                      I read the following online and it did not come with a source, so I can make no claims for its veracity. However, it does appear to be a very sensible descriptor of what people need to know in terms of understanding and rationalising the condition:

Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:

I
                      3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

I’m afraid a lot of that is rubbish, and appears to be a mixture of rumor and general misconceptions about viruses and infections. For example, a sneeze can spread droplets as wide as 8 metres, and only the largest droplets will fall to the ground. Most droplets are small and form a germ-infested gas cloud that rises upwards, to the level of ventilation systems and other people's noses and mouths. Although these are relatively smaller droplets, they're still teeming with harmful pathogens, and — depending on ventilation — they can spread through a room in just a few seconds, and remain suspended for up to 10 minutes. This holds for all sneezes and pathogens, not just for Coronavirus.

The other points about the temperature at which the virus is killed, drinking hot drinks and gargling are almost certainly rubbish as well.

As far as I can see from official advice, the main symptoms appear to be coughing, sore throat and temperature. There is no treatment, but most people recover after a few days, and many people may not even notice they have the virus. The most vulnerable groups are older people and those with underlying health conditions, particularly respiratory conditions.
                      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

I read on the internet (and my friends from Totnes will confirm this ) that the sure fire way of preventing this is to only listen to music where A=432.
                        Homeopathic audio remedies can also work so a millisecond of audio from any composer whose name begins with the letter "V" is effective (it's a VIRUS so only V will work) against most of the symptoms

I read it on the internet so it must be true

Comment

Originally posted by StephenMcK View Post

THE SYMPTOMS

Ignore this. Most cases are just a common cold like in nature. An unlucky few percent will progress to pneumonia, but telling people that just because they don’t have pneumonia therefore they can’t have CV is one to guarantee it will spread.

It’s interesting to see the the difference in panic level over your way compared to here, where despite the fact that there has been only one confirmed mortality it is the main fear andhas tanked the stock market

Comment

Comment

I’ve been reading about the ineptness of the US government to it’s response. I hope you escape this! I hope I don’t get it, as I fear I will stand no chance against it.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X