Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've decided to implement Phase 2 of my Covid survival plan. Instead of listening to the increasingly confused and confusing and often flatly contradictory utterances of the experts/powers-that-be/politicos and interpreting them in what I hope is a reasonable way, I shall simply stop listening to them.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      I've decided to implement Phase 2 of my Covid survival plan. Instead of listening to the increasingly confused and confusing and often flatly contradictory utterances of the experts/powers-that-be/politicos and interpreting them in what I hope is a reasonable way, I shall simply stop listening to them.
      I've slowly been implementing my Covid/Brexit survival plan in recent weeks with small additions of three or four tins of various vegetables to my shopping basket each time I go. I'm not waiting for the inevitable panic buying when there will be nothing left and am planning to have enough stock for 1 month's supply. If it's not needed, that's fine as I can eat it anyway or give to the local foodbank.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        I've slowly been implementing my Covid/Brexit survival plan in recent weeks with small additions of three or four tins of various vegetables to my shopping basket each time I go. I'm not waiting for the inevitable panic buying when there will be nothing left and am planning to have enough stock for 1 month's supply. If it's not needed, that's fine as I can eat it anyway or give to the local foodbank.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
        I am in the same situation regarding "hoarding" everday consumables, always making sure to have one extra, for instance, jar of my favourite coffee, or cans of fruit, which sometimes come in short supply. It's my contribution to "panic buying".

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I am in the same situation regarding "hoarding" everday consumables, always making sure to have one extra, for instance, jar of my favourite coffee, or cans of fruit, which sometimes come in short supply. It's my contribution to "panic buying".
          So can we tell everyone to go out and hoard toilet paper first, so that if Covid gets worse again we don't have the situation which happened before, in which lorries were runnning around full of loo rolls - which were apparently not in short supply - yet creating a logistics problem as this restricted the available transport capacity for much more important smaller and more urgent items.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            So can we tell everyone to go out and hoard toilet paper first, so that if Covid gets worse again we don't have the situation which happened before, in which lorries were runnning around full of loo rolls - which were apparently not in short supply - yet creating a logistics problem as this restricted the available transport capacity for much more important smaller and more urgent items.
            That's not the way to do it. Instead of buying the shop/supermarket out of their entire stock, you merely have to ensure you have enough for when the inevitable happens and buy sparingly but a little more often so supply chains barely notice what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              That's not the way to do it. Instead of buying the shop/supermarket out of their entire stock, you merely have to ensure you have enough for when the inevitable happens and buy sparingly but a little more often so supply chains barely notice what's going on.
              Indeed, but it seems that last time many people hadn’t thought about what they might need beforehand. What people might choose to stock is going to depend on their views and needs, and also their storage capacity. I don’t see anything wrong with people having the foresight to keep a few week’s worth of goods available for difficult times, but if everyone decides to do that en masse at the same time, then there will be supply and distribution issues. It makes sense for people to stock up slowly. Some people seem to have no reserves at all, which does not seem sensible. Then panic buying sets in when problems occur, and some people who have taken precautions well in advance are branded as hoarders, rather than as prudent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Indeed, but it seems that last time many people hadn’t thought about what they might need beforehand. What people might choose to stock is going to depend on their views and needs, and also their storage capacity. I don’t see anything wrong with people having the foresight to keep a few week’s worth of goods available for difficult times, but if everyone decides to do that en masse at the same time, then there will be supply and distribution issues. It makes sense for people to stock up slowly. Some people seem to have no reserves at all, which does not seem sensible. Then panic buying sets in when problems occur, and some people who have taken precautions well in advance are branded as hoarders, rather than as prudent.
                Avoid any 'hoarder' accusations by keeping it quiet and not indulging in 'I told you so' moments. Anyway, I think a lot of people learned a lot from the experience of the March 'lockdown'. The same applies to a no-deal Brexit scenario.

Comment

I put together a box of store cupboard basics at the end of last year in case of problems arising from the B scenario, kept it replenished as necessary(dates) and found it jolly useful come March and lockdown. I've kept it going ever since, not least so that if I become ill or have to isolate I can reduce or eliminate the need to call on help. I will need to review the contents in due course as I suspect the gluten-free bread items I use will be vulnerable to supply problems(increased prices are a given I imagine) as they are manufactured in Germany. Experience earlier this year showed that there was no compunction among those who didn't need such items about clearing GF pasta and bread from the shelves so whether it's lockdown or Brexit I need to be prepared. Fortunately they are long-life so laying in stocks is feasible provided what is available in the supermarket has a reasonable life on it - which isn't always the case, supplies tend to be erratic across the various outlets here.

Comment

Yes, keep a good stock of non perishables in. We are.
                    And having checked, happily it seems that CDs are non perishable, so the Chandos sales is well timed.

In other news, it seems that grouse shooting is definitely a covid secure activity. Hurrah !!

So, if we take my son's family of five for a days grouse shooting, rule of six issue solved .
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      And having checked, happily it seems that CDs are non perishable, so the Chandos sales is well timed.

In other news, it seems that grouse shooting is definitely a covid secure activity. Hurrah !!

So, if we take my son's family of five for a days grouse shooting, rule of six issue solved .
                      What, even when you shoot your first brace?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        What, even when you shoot your first brace?
                        Is that a carp, Bryn?

Comment

It's solved anyway as it's exempt from the rule of six.

Comment

Lucky there are never any grousers on this MB!
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk
                              FWIW, I was in Tesco today and noticed that a standard tin of Heinz baked beans was 85p. But there are offers of 4 tins for £2.50 (26% discount per can) or 6 for £3.00 (41% discount).

I didn't take the plunge, but if you're a baked bean fan stocking up for another lock down...something to ponder.
                              Certainly a handy standby with reasonable general nutrition to offer.

Comment

R4 'Life Scientific'.

Comment

Working...
                                X