Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my AstraZeneca jab at my home, given by the District Nurse.

Comment

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
      GP run sites contact people through texts or phone calls from their GP. I think ten or so practices are using ours. The Government contact through letter and guide you towards a large hub. You can still wait for a GP contact if you get a Gov't letter first as the GP centre will often be more convenient.
      There are two mechanisms at work. The NHS 'global mail-a-letter' and the local PCN (Primary Care Network) initiative which is local surgery led. Don't quite understand why the two systems are in place but two are better than none IMO.

Regarding moving location and possibly not being offered the same vaccine...I predict that the current research will come out and say 'No problem'. The cynic in me says logistics will play an 'informative' role.
      Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Perhaps get in touch with the Clinical Commissioning Group, as they are handling the vaccine rollout? There appear to be two in Shropshire https://www.telfordccg.nhs.uk/ and https://www.shropshireccg.nhs.uk/contact-us/ Which one is relevant would depend on whereabouts in Shropshire you will be, although either should be able to help with your query I would have thought.
        Thanks oddoneout and Anastasius. By phoning 119 - surprisingly painless - I now have an answer.

When we get our first jab we'll definitely and unavoidably be given a second appointment down here. If we move to Salop before this we should then cancel this 2nd appointment. When we get to Salop and our GP records are transferred, the system there will know we just need our 2nd jabs. Seemples(?) - fingers crossed!
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          Thanks oddoneout and Anastasius. By phoning 119 - surprisingly painless - I now have an answer.

When we get our first jab we'll definitely and unavoidably be given a second appointment down here. If we move to Salop before this we should then cancel this 2nd appointment. When we get to Salop and our GP records are transferred, the system there will know we just need our 2nd jabs. Seemples(?) - fingers crossed!
          You may need to keep an eye on the progress of records transfer. Things don't always go smoothly in 'normal' times, but with admin staff affected by matters Covid things might get held up. One would hope that notice of new patients would trigger a query about vaccination status, but best not to assume?
          It set me thinking that anyone moving to my home town now would be dependent on the non-GP arrangements if jabs were needed as all the surgery lists are closed to new patients.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            You may need to keep an eye on the progress of records transfer. Things don't always go smoothly in 'normal' times, but with admin staff affected by matters Covid things might get held up. One would hope that notice of new patients would trigger a query about vaccination status, but best not to assume?
            It set me thinking that anyone moving to my home town now would be dependent on the non-GP arrangements if jabs were needed as all the surgery lists are closed to new patients.
            I guess that data transfer is one big plus to go to one of the main hubs, as I did. My medical record at my GP has already been updated with the jab.

Comment

Been reading a bit in the media about 'vaccine passports' and 'deep and complex issues' according to BoJo. Sorry but what exactly are these issues? If I want to drive a car, I need a licence. If I want to leave the country and travel, I need a passport. OK...I would like to go to venue A and they would like to know if I've been vaccinated or not. So I give them my passport that either says 'Yes, he's been vaccinated" or 'No, he hasn't because of a medical issue'. Not having the vaccine because I think Bill Gates will stick a chip in me is, of course, my choice. Choices have consequences. I don't get in. Tough. My choice. What's the problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                Been reading a bit in the media about 'vaccine passports' and 'deep and complex issues' according to BoJo. Sorry but what exactly are these issues? If I want to drive a car, I need a licence. If I want to leave the country and travel, I need a passport. OK...I would like to go to venue A and they would like to know if I've been vaccinated or not. So I give them my passport that either says 'Yes, he's been vaccinated" or 'No, he hasn't because of a medical issue'. Not having the vaccine because I think Bill Gates will stick a chip in me is, of course, my choice. Choices have consequences. I don't get in. Tough. My choice. What's the problem ?
                There are issues to do with what data is stored about you and who has access to it. There is also the question of producing an unforgeable certificate. Work on the latter is, apparently, already in progress, being done for secure online banking for places in Africa and elsewhere where people do not have usable physical addresses and do not have photo ID. What is being suggested seems to be a QR code (to be stored on smartphone or printed out on card) which contains only the fact of your vaccination and is validated by facial recognition (thus making counterfeiting virutually impossible except between identical twins). When the vaccination is performed your medical record is updated and the QR code produced, but there is nothing in the QR code to link directly to your record, thus also dealing to some extent with the first issue: anyone requiring to see your certificate could not obtain any other information about you.

Comment

I'm replying to SimonB's post here as this thread seems more appropriate than the "Coronavirus: social, economic and other changes as a result of the pandemic" thread

Originally posted by Simon B View Post
                  ... is probably the answer that applies to me. I think I got the 11% by misreading something on the gov.uk dashboard front page.

However, more generally I did (I think) the same as you except I use the "date reported" figures and deliberately overlook the shortcomings of this - because when comparing 7 day averages, 7 days apart, you are at least comparing like-with-like all the way up to today's data.

When I do that, I get something like:

(earlier comparisons - long list of {25% < decline < 30%} going back to 4 weeks ago)
                  17/2 v 10/2: 12289 16191 -24%
                  18/2 v 11/2: 12084 15171 -20%
                  19/2 v 12/2: 11639 14604 -25%
                  20/2 v 13/2: 11224 13895 -19%
                  21/2 v 14/2: 11061 13200 -16%
                  22/2 v 15/2: 11014 12580 -12%

I don't think these numbers (unlike tests by specimen date) get updated, but if they do they can only really get worse than the above. Something has changed, though maybe only temporarily. You can see it just by looking at the shape of the curves in the raw data which is what drew my attention.

(With apologies to the non-data people as the other Coronavirus thread usually gets used by we number wranglers)
                  The following uses a rolling 7 day average, calculated from today's cases by specimen data, and it once again confirms there is a significant trend that has developed over recent days. Similar trends are shown in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and in all the NHS regions in England apart from the South West. In all cases the trend begins around 14th Feb. (I prefer to use the cases by specimen date data, though there is a delay before reasonably complete figures are available.)

I can't help wondering whether the success of phase 1 of the vaccination programme has led to people taking a more relaxed approach to social distancing, etc. It is tempting to think that surge testing might have had an impact, but on the other hand the gov.uk website shows a recent decline in the number of virus tests carried out.

This sudden reduction in the rate of decrease in case numbers has also been picked up by Prof Paul Hunter. See: https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...-19-dashboard/

Last edited by johnb; 24-02-21, 01:33.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                    ..I can't help wondering whether the success of phase 1 of the vaccination programme has led to people taking a more relaxed approach to social distancing, etc....

Without a shadow of a doubt. In the words on the football punter "They think it's all over". Not helped at all by the total lack of any advice or information at jab-time that they have to wait at least three weeks, that it's not a cure-all, that they need to maintain social-distancing etc. I sincerely hope that Easter is a total washout. I've said it before and I'll say it again...the majority of people are too stupid.

As an aside, anyone else noticed that the photograph hanging on the wall behind Hopeless during his 'at home' broadcasts is/was that of the pub owned by his neighbour...yes, that one. Said photograph now removed.

Comment

Regarding testing, I recently found myself in a Catch-22 situation. As mentioned elsewhere, post-AZ, I developed one of the uncommon side-effects - decreased appetite. After 8 days had a telephone conversation with my GP. (they no longer do face-to-face). She agreed that 8 days was unusual and said I should get a Covid test and if that was negative, come in for a blood-test etc. Drive-in test duly booked at Carlisle Airport. Only person there being tested! Arrived only to discover that it was DIY which I can't do. They suggested a double-nasal swab but after two separate attempts deemed it not good enough to be sent to the lab and suggested I contacted my GP surgery.

Surgery duly called and I explained my difficulty and that I needed someone to do it for me and could they help ? No. Could I come in then for the blood test ? No. Not until I was tested. But I need someone to do it for me. "Call 111".

Called 111. Explained the situation. They said "Call 119". Called 119. Explained the situation. They said "Call 111". Called 111 again. "Is there anyone at home that can do it?" No, my wife has already tried and failed. My gag reflex is far too strong and she's uncomfortable trying to force things further. "Ring up Social Services then and see if they will send someone".

And so which is why yesterday at noon and some £80 lighter in pocket, I arrived at a private clinic in Gateshead for a Roche Rapid Flow test. Negative. But what if I didn't have the funds to do it privately? Or anyone else in a similar situation ?

By the by, if anyone thought the 1" depth up the nose that the drive-in swab is pushed was a long way, then have I got news for you. That Rapid Test swab goes in just over 3" and has to be fed down a very narrow sinus (turbinate ??) and explains why, in the hands of a layman, the Rapid Test is not very effective at picking up positives. Mass testing using this technique at 'events, pubs etc' whereby people test themselves is a recipe for disaster IMO.

Comment

Without a shadow of a doubt. In the words on the football punter "They think it's all over". Not helped at all by the total lack of any advice or information at jab-time that they have to wait at least three weeks, that it's not a cure-all, that they need to maintain social-distancing etc. I sincerely hope that Easter is a total washout. I've said it before and I'll say it again...the majority of people are too stupid.

As an aside, anyone else noticed that the photograph hanging on the wall behind Hopeless during his 'at home' broadcasts is/was that of the pub owned by his neighbour...yes, that one. Said photograph now removed.
                        Looks like you were seriously let down at your vaccination point. All relevant reminders were clearly put forward when I got my first jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Looks like you were seriously let down at your vaccination point. All relevant reminders were clearly put forward when I got my first jab.
                          Quite possibly but so too have many, many other people as I carried out a straw poll among people I know across the country who've had the jab and you are the first where they did things properly !

Comment

Quite possibly but so too have many, many other people as I carried out a straw poll among people I know across the country who've had the jab and you are the first where they did things properly !
                            Well, it was at the Waitrose Sports and Social Club's main hall, and organised by three local PCNs.

Comment

By the by, if anyone thought the 1" depth up the nose that the drive-in swab is pushed was a long way, then have I got news for you. That Rapid Test swab goes in just over 3" and has to be fed down a very narrow sinus (turbinate ??) and explains why, in the hands of a layman, the Rapid Test is not very effective at picking up positives. Mass testing using this technique at 'events, pubs etc' whereby people test themselves is a recipe for disaster IMO.
                              Re testing - I have in the past had tubes stuck up my nose, but in a carefully controlled environment with an expert consultant. I would hate to have a quick and dirty procedure done by someone with less experience in a less conducive environment.

Your experience with testing does seem very poor.

Re some of your previous posts - which pub is owned by whom, and which of the Hopeless people were you referring to? BJ, MH or AN Other.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Re testing - I have in the past had tubes stuck up my nose, but in a carefully controlled environment with an expert consultant. I would hate to have a quick and dirty procedure done by someone with less experience in a less conducive environment.

Your experience with testing does seem very poor.

Re some of your previous posts - which pub is owned by whom, and which of the Hopeless people were you referring to? BJ, MH or AN Other.
                                Don't know myself, but the answer may lie herein:. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...atsapp-message

Comment

Working...
                                X