X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

How do illnesses and diseases spread?

The CV-19 epidemic has many of us frantically washing our hands, and not going out. Recently I read about Piers Morgan - not his falling out with DT - tragedy - "unfollowed" - but rather his becoming ill. Apparently he became ill with some symptoms and was advised to have tests for Covid-19, The tests came back negative. In his case he probably did come loosely into contact with some people.

What I'm curious about is how two of us, living in one house, with hardly any contact with anyone, can get ill at all. I do suffer periodically from allergies, such as hay fever, and living in a rural area having moved away from England it's perhaps not surprising that sometimes I get respiratory issues from pollen etc. One issue there is the size of the pollen particles - are they a lot bigger than the virus? I don't know.

Even despite that, I suspect that not all the symptoms we each have from time to time are not simply from air born allergens, so how is it that we are still occasionally feeing ill? We don't answer the door, we don't talk to people. Maybe problems are coming in via envelopes and packaging, or maybe food.

Has anyone else who has had minimal contact with others outside noticed this kind of thing? There must be an explanation, surely.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

You might catch something from this

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Plus, coughs, sneezes, cigarettes, whiskey, wild wild women. This is a case for Google who will have at least a million pages for whiling away the time in lock down. Oh, reading is bad for tired old eyes.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

I’m working on that ... but I’m not sharing my knobs with anyone.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          That's one way of spreading disease

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Ah - just noticed the brand or make of that box ....

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              The CV-19 epidemic has many of us frantically washing our hands, and not going out. Recently I read about Piers Morgan - not his falling out with DT - tragedy - "unfollowed" - but rather his becoming ill. Apparently he became ill with some symptoms and was advised to have tests for Covid-19, The tests came back negative. In his case he probably did come loosely into contact with some people.

What I'm curious about is how two of us, living in one house, with hardly any contact with anyone, can get ill at all. I do suffer periodically from allergies, such as hay fever, and living in a rural area having moved away from England it's perhaps not surprising that sometimes I get respiratory issues from pollen etc. One issue there is the size of the pollen particles - are they a lot bigger than the virus? I don't know.

Even despite that, I suspect that not all the symptoms we each have from time to time are not simply from air born allergens, so how is it that we are still occasionally feeing ill? We don't answer the door, we don't talk to people. Maybe problems are coming in via envelopes and packaging, or maybe food.

Has anyone else who has had minimal contact with others outside noticed this kind of thing? There must be an explanation, surely.
              Pollen particles are MUCHbigger than viruses...

Pollen

Virus

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                Pollen particles are MUCHbigger than viruses...

Pollen

Virus
                The smallest pollen grain, that of the forget-me-not (Myosotis spp.),[which?] is 2.5-5 µm (0.005 mm) in diameter.[4] Corn pollen grains are large, about 90–100 µm.[5] Most grass pollen is around 20-25 µm
                - apparently, whereas

Coronaviruses are large, mostly spherical, sometimes pleomorphic (changeable in shape), particles with bulbous surface projections.[42] The average diameter of the virus particles is around 125 nm (.125 μm). The diameter of the envelope is 85 nm and the spikes are 20 nm long.
                from entries in wikipedia.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

There is a graphic of comparative sizes on this page - red blood cell, a bacillus, Coronavirus. (its a website on filtering, etc which has turned its hand to materials for home-made Face masks).
                  We tested 30 common household materials for homemade masks. Using breathability and virus-size particle capture, we identified the top 5 DIY mask materials.

Comment

Working...
                  X