X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I note that I posted this in 2014, on salymap's "If statues could talk" thread:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I note that I posted this in 2014, on salymap's "If statues could talk" thread:

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...002#post424002
      Thanks for posting the pic, ff - we all need it so as not to forget about our history.

Very prescient, though.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Thanks for posting the pic, ff - we all need it so as not to forget about our history.

Very prescient, though.
        I think, though, that the presence of the statues allows us to remember the bad alongside the good. The absence causes us to forget both. The expunging of the name from, for instance, the schools and the almshouses, would be a deliberate wiping out of the good. There is a wonderful (Grade I) statue of William III in Queen Square. I hope that isn't dragged into the harbour on account of his being the Governor of the Royal African Company, if only because it would be very unfair on his horse.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
        X