X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Bird extinction threat - vultures

Unlovely and unloved, vultures play a vital role as nature’s clean-up squad but are now one of the most threatened groups of birds on the planet

African vultures are threatened by human developments. These not very attractive birds do provide a very useful cleaning up service, but their numbers are dropping.
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...s-bad-news-aoe

African vultures are threatened by human developments. These not very attractive birds do provide a very useful cleaning up service, but their numbers are dropping.
    This is also an issue in India

In exclusive Malabar Hill, the city’s dwindling Parsi community continues with the Zoroastrian tradition of disposing of dead bodies by exposing them to scavenger birds. How much longer can this 3,000-year-old tradition survive?

Drugs, such as wormers, used to treat livestock in this country are threatening the likes of dungbeetles, which also has knock-on effects. Unintended consequences all - but serious.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

,,,,OT but house spiders down too as no house flies/moths...
      bong ching

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        ,,,,OT but house spiders down too as no house flies/moths...
        Don't worry...... I'm looking after them all here...... quite the Spider-and-Moth reserve, my house..... if it gets too much I transfer some to an outhouse....(freezer, boiler etc...). The mini beasts don't mind the shabby decor....

Poor Vultures, as ever you just have to grasp their position in the food chain... but we humans can't control our numbers very well, so...all a bit grim for the rest...

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Do not fear... I'm looking after them all here...... quite the Spider-and-Moth reserve, my house..... if it gets too much I transfer them to an outhouse....(freezer, boiler etc...). The mini beasts don't mind the shabby decor....
          House spiders have a home here, too. I always leave a towel draped down inside the empty bath to aid their escape should they fall in.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Don't worry...... I'm looking after them all here...... quite the Spider-and-Moth reserve, my house..... if it gets too much I transfer some to an outhouse....(freezer, boiler etc...). The mini beasts don't mind the shabby decor....

Poor Vultures, as ever you just have to grasp their position in the food chain... but we humans can't control our numbers very well, so...all a bit grim for the rest...
            ....yes Jane, and there are so many poor poor people climbing the mounds of refuse sifting through it the vultures must be superceded....in Spain the tips are frequented by clouds of Red Kites....
            bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              House spiders have a home here, too. I always leave a towel draped down inside the empty bath to aid their escape should they fall in.
              ....yep....
              bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Hadn't thought of that, so thanks. It's always a job trying to catch and prevent them skidaddling off down the plughole. My place must be rather like jayne's - upstairs came in yesterday and remarked scornfully about my not having cleared cobwebs on my ceiling. "I'm plagued with clothes moths, so the spiders don't pay their way", I told him.

Comment

Working...
                X