Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    It seems to me that cancel culture is another form of intolerance, which stems from various causes including selfishness and inability to cope with a different view from one's own. Galileo was 'cancelled ' for trying to tell people that the earth revolved around the sun and not vice versa.

I used to debate Christian theology on another forum and when asked why Christians were unwilling to have an open debate about Islam I said it was not practicable as long as one would be threatened with beheading for expressing an opinion on the subject. If we don't let the other side speak we risk becoming bigots.
    ...and then you came back here....
    bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

It's from Spiked. Isn't that run by a bunch of political tourists who have roamed from far-'left' RCP to the far right?
      I don't know, - nor do I know what RCP means. [Royal College of Physicians? I think not!]

All I know is that I was first surprised to discover Crow Hill - a seemingly new company - sending me messages, and then when I tried to follow this up on the Spitfire site - thinking that the product I was sent details of was in fact a Spitfire product, or one supported by Spitfire - that something perhaps indicating what happened emerged. I had to do some imaginative searches in order to get to what may be "the truth". I could actually write directly to Christian Henson - and I think I might get a response - but I'm happy to leave things for the moment.

I also noticed the cancellation of RichardB - I don't know what he's done. I suppose if I write anything other than "Ukraine" which I see is still "allowed", then I will also be banned here.
      I don't want to be banned or "culture cancelled", but I find heavy handed policing a pain, and I thought we are/were living in more enlightened times.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I don't know, - nor do I know what RCP means. [Royal College of Physicians? I think not!]
        https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Spiked

The odd thing about 'Cancel Culture' is how many of its self-identified victims are incredibly visible and prolific, with enormous numbers of followers on social media, frequent coverage in the press, appearances on flagship BBC news and discussion programmes, presenting jobs on GB News, columns in national newspapers, and even (in the case of one member of the Spiked crowd) elevation to the Peerage.
        Last edited by Retune; 15-11-23, 15:12.

Comment

I don't understand. I can't see what's going on (this is french frank in new Admin mode who is supposed to be able to see everything)

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil

... and Richard Barrett. I can't think this has been handled well, to have lost such musically interesting contributors.
            I'm just now wondering what I could do to get myself banned from the forum. After all, it's not so difficult for someone with my so-often expressed political views. Do I just leave a forum which, by dint of excluding blatantly germane issues to how the BBC is treating Radio 3, is in danger of consigning itself to irrelevance when it could offer some prospects of light in the darkness? Or do I just stick to covering jazz, where politics elsewhere evaded are tacitly treated as axiomatic to broadcasting and discussion?

(Come to think of it, "axiomatic" seems a rather appropriate word with its unfortunate associations!)

Comment

As could have been predicted a Cancel Culture thread is just another opportunity for people to sound off politically. The Guardian , Telegraph and Times have literally thousands of comments a day on this theme which rather like a Bach Canon go round and round but to considerably less artistic or intellectual purpose.

Comment

....the thread was started Mid- 2020
                bong ching

Comment

PMs have been sent. 8thO has been helpful in explaining what happened. If people could contact me by PM instead of continuing a public debate it would be much appreciated.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    ....the thread was started Mid- 2020
                    In which case we should congratulate ourselves on three years of collective restraint.

Comment

....giggle ....
                      bong ching

Comment

Working...
                      X