No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Election That Could Break America

Article by Barton Gellman in the Atlantic:

If the vote is close, Donald Trump could easily throw the election into chaos and subvert the result. Who will stop him?

JR

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
    Article by Barton Gellman in the Atlantic:

If the vote is close, Donald Trump could easily throw the election into chaos and subvert the result. Who will stop him?

JR
    My immediate response to the title of your thread, assuming that by 'America' you mean the USA, was: 'Isn't it broken already'?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      My immediate response to the title of your thread, assuming that by 'America' you mean the USA, was: 'Isn't it broken already'?
      Not far off, with its gun culture which legitimately permits police to shoot people suspected of crime. But there is still hope in, of all people, Joe Biden.

And a similar situation over here when Johnson threatens to appoint a TV licence refusenik as BBC chairman (and an anti-BBC Brexiter to head Ofcom).

So it's Biden or Trump, BBC or Andrew Neil's GB News. Them's the choices. Oh, and Starmer or some Tory .
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        . . . Starmer or some Tory .
        Surely, from his 'leadership' so far, "Starmer or some other Tory".

Comment

Some friends in US I regularly correspond with are desperate, frightened and aghast at what is happening to their nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Surely, from his 'leadership' so far, "Starmer or some other Tory".
            That underlines the point. The current Labour leader heads the poll as to which of the twao would make best PM, and in the latest poll Labour has now taken a lead over the Tories. The waters shouldn't be muddied - in my view, of course. All these choices end up in the final analysis as binaries.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Some friends in US I regularly correspond with are desperate, frightened and aghast at what is happening to their nation.
              Yes, I'm in regular contact with Mark over this. But Biden does seem to have the edge in the polls at the moment. But Trump and the White House are determined to play dirty with doctored videos of Biden, and spreading false rumours.

Comment

Not far off, with its gun culture which legitimately permits police to shoot people suspected of crime. But there is still hope in, of all people, Joe Biden.

And a similar situation over here when Johnson threatens to appoint a TV licence refusenik as BBC chairman (and an anti-BBC Brexiter to head Ofcom).

So it's Biden or Trump, BBC or Andrew Neil's GB News. Them's the choices. Oh, and Starmer or some Tory .
                Yes, two former editors of rightwing anti-BBC newspapers, Paul Dacre(Daily Mail) to head Ofcom and Lord Moore(Daily Telegraph) chairman of the BBC.
                What a prospect!

JR

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                  Yes, two former editors of rightwing anti-BBC newspapers, Paul Dacre(Daily Mail) to head Ofcom and Lord Moore(Daily Telegraph) chairman of the BBC.
                  What a prospect!

JR
                  It's a situation where you have to accept the maxim: "The best is enemy of the good". Or if not actually 'good', at least better than the realistic alternative which faces us.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    "Starmer or some other Tory"
                    Yes but he's so damn forensic apparently.

Comment

........ over here when Johnson threatens to appoint a TV licence refusenik as BBC chairman .... .
                      When did you receive this offer ff ........ ??????

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        When did you receive this offer ff ........ ??????
                        Excellent, Lord Gould. But I'm not actually anti the BBC - it just doesn't offer any entertainment I want, and I get my news from a variety of UK and foreign sources.

Comment

While I don't want to see a right-wing takeover of the BBC, its extravagance is a reasonable ground for criticism. How many political reporters or sports reporters does it REALLY need? And why do they repeatedly send London-based reporters to duplicate the work of perfectly competent local reporters who are already covering local stories?
                          Like other organizations with too many non-broadcasters attending too many meetings, it spends too much of its time navel-gazing and talking about itself instead of slimming down, which it will eventually be forced to do if it doesn't put its own house in order. I'm afraid 'W1A' seems to have been spot-on ...
                          As for the American election - well, I dread to think of how much additional airtime the BBC will decide to waste on the legal wrangling that, it seems, will follow the actual vote, whatever the result.
                          Last edited by LMcD; 27-09-20, 11:45.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            While I don't want to see a right-wing takeover of the BBC, its extravagance is a reasonable ground for criticism. How many political reporters or sports reporters does it REALLY need? And why do they repeatedly send London-based reporters to duplicate the work of perfectly competent local reporters who are already covering local stories?
                            Like other organizations with too many non-broadcasters attending too many meetings, it spends too much of its time navel-gazing and talking about itself instead of slimming down, which it will eventually be forced to do if it doesn't put its own house in order. I'm afraid 'W1A' seems to have been spot-on ...
                            As for the American election - well, I dread to think of how much additional airtime the BBC will decide to waste on the legal wrangling that, it seems, will follow the actual vote, whatever the result.

You have a point LMcD but, IMVVHO, you have to ask what gives rise to all these endless meetings and non productive staff ..... I worked in the Energy Supply Industry and when we were privatised the number of both increased exponentially to attempt to meet the wishes of the government and it’s deeply flawed regulator and give the impression of the wonders of competition.
                            I see the Lord without a tv licence has recently attacked the NHS for having much the same problems and thus increasing the COVID death rate. Again IMVVHO the presence of the problem in the NHS is also down to constant government interference and to and fro on the dreaded outsourcing ........

Comment

Even some conservatives fear a power grab might trigger the disintegration of the US. It’s happened to superpowers before, says Guardian columnist Jonathan Freedland

I have Sky and other News sources, but its still BBC News that I turn to first...(I wish they hadn't dropped the catchy News 24 name...). I'd hate anything to deplete its resources even further, I don't mind reporters all around the place...& I still depend on Newsnight..

But most of the BBC's problems are down to pressures from our current and past Lords of Misrule....so sad, so stressful.....
                              I don't watch much beyond Sport/News/Docs, but despite many poor choices & frequently all-too-MOR mediocre drama series, I still think it needs more support than criticism....or perhaps equal amounts of both...

(OK Russian GP over, (poor Lewis!).... the Sun is just Glorious today, the butterflies and dragonflies are on the wing.... brandy and ingana in the saucepan...)
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 27-09-20, 14:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X