Why do we even allow people like this to "own" land in the UK?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Some devils - some spoons - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56119788

Huh....!!!

Others however, disagree.
    It's not that I disagree with the sentiment, but being a realist I don't expect much protest to come from the UK establishment - from sport and/or government.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      It's not that I disagree with the sentiment, but being a realist I don't expect much protest to come from the UK establishment - from sport and/or government.
      The extent to which so many advanced modern economies are dependent on arms, and other forms of trading which can only be called immoral, is always answered with the euphemism of "realism", whether by mainstream press or BBC pragmatists. The income generated contributes tax for maintaining the welfare state. Whether or not the "swords into ploughshares" implicit on any Green New Deal would be sufficient in filling that income gap, a start has to be made, until a different form of economy is established, one that puts all the wealth created to useful purposes rather than speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        The extent to which so many advanced modern economies are dependent on arms, and other forms of trading which can only be called immoral, is always answered with the euphemism of "realism", whether by mainstream press or BBC pragmatists. The income generated contributes tax for maintaining the welfare state. Whether or not the "swords into ploughshares" implicit on any Green New Deal would be sufficient in filling that income gap, a start has to be made, until a different form of economy is established, one that puts all the wealth created to useful purposes rather than speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I hope you weren't conflating that euphemistic "realism" with mine which extended no further than to the expectation that vested interests would somehow be at the head of the protesters ."Follow the money.". Perhaps I should have said cynicism,
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I hope you weren't conflating that euphemistic "realism" with mine which extended no further than to the expectation that vested interests would somehow be at the head of the protesters ."Follow the money.". Perhaps I should have said cynicism,
            Aww - how could you even think I could impute such a misunderstanding to yourself!

Comment

Working...
            X