Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is an interesting briefing article (behind a paywall) in the current double number of the Economist - a history of Russian Fascism - it points out that tho definitions of fascism can be contentious the Russian state under Putin has moved so much that the usually accepted definitions of fascism well apply to Putin's Russia - it also gives little or no hope that Russia will cease being a menace to both its neighbours and the wider world.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
      it also gives little or no hope that Russia will cease being a menace to both its neighbours and the wider world.
      I paused over the BBC's headline that "Russia accuses US of direct role in Ukraine war" … Pot, kettle? Also interesting that Russians fully accept (do they really, though?) that Russia is fighting a Nazi regime in Ukraine. Why would the EU and Nato welcome a Nazi state into membership - or were the Russians the only ones who fought and conquered Nazism in WW2?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I paused over the BBC's headline that "Russia accuses US of direct role in Ukraine war" … Pot, kettle? Also interesting that Russians fully accept (do they really, though?) that Russia is fighting a Nazi regime in Ukraine. Why would the EU and Nato welcome a Nazi state into membership - or were the Russians the only ones who fought and conquered Nazism in WW2?
        We're catching up on old news by them letting us know!

Comment

Presumably after Ms Pelosi's absurd grandstanding, the hawks in the Chinese administration will now have more clout when it comes to supplying arms to Mr Putin and that government will presently do so, either overtly or covertly. It suits the Chinese for the West to become bogged down and weakened in Ukraine: it will make their task of eventually retaking Taiwan so much easier.
          It's hard to see how any sort of peace can be achieved. The West's sanctions against Russia have backfired appallingly, with the threat of recession throughout Europe and the rise of extremist parties as a consequence. If China does supply arms to Russia and the West applies sanctions to them they will -as the BBC reported - simply blockade Taiwan, stopping the export of the essential components for most of our modern technologies. And now that the ghastly Liz Truss looks set to become our next leader with her silly talk of Ukraine retaking the Donbas, one sees even less cause for hope.
          But hope one must. If only we had leaders strong enough to know not only the strength of compromise but how awful War actually is: bodies torn apart by metal in the most appalling and painful way. As the great Australian writer Patrick White said, 'Bombs are unbelievable until they actually fall.'

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
            Presumably after Ms Pelosi's absurd grandstanding ....
            I'm actually not sure which side is grandstanding more. Does China really care about Ms Pelosi, but just want to make a point. The point may not even be for the "benefit" of the rest of the world, but more for internal approval. Aggressive attitudes might help Mr Xi to remain in power for a while longer. It is possible that it's just a point scoring game, though of course other countries have to be wary.

Comment

DW has some very interesting videos. Here is one - though clearly it has a biased western narrative:

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                DW has some very interesting videos. Here is one - though clearly it has a biased western narrative:

Putin's government will probably respond by re-nationalising the fleeing companies without compensation - the Right there being not beyond learning a trick or two from its originally more progressive forbears, I would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Putin's government will probably respond by re-nationalising the fleeing companies without compensation - the Right there being not beyond learning a trick or two from its originally more progressive forbears, I would have thought.
                  I think the video explains that "solutions" like that aren't really going to work in the short term. Nationalisation only works if there's enough expertise, labour and required materials to make it work.

Comment

Today marks six months since the Russian invasion of Ukraine as well as thirty-one years of Ukrainian independence.

I am still optimistic that Ukraine will be able to start rolling back the invading forces, albeit not in a sweeping offensive but rather in a series of small 'bites'. Russian progress in the last six weeks has varied from non-existent to glacial while Ukraine has made advances in several areas. More importantly, they now have the capability to systematically degrade Russian logistics and lines of communication (which is one of the main reasons for the lack of Russian advances).

However, I can't see this war ending any time soon. I hope am wrong.

Comment

Johnson manifestlt PR grandstanding - or has he got a place there for his 'retirement'?
                      IMO pretty unashamed sick-making stuff from him.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        Johnson manifestlt PR grandstanding - or has he got a place there for his 'retirement'?
                        I think he sees Zelensky's whole-hearted support for him, when his position seemed very precarious, as something he can seize on as a "positive achievement" of his administration, and of himself personally. Don't let people forget about it, especially since there isn't much else that could be counted as a plus.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          Foreign political leaders view him as a joke and now irrelevant. Somewhat (?) reviled at home. He's used to being popular, warmly regarded - the crucial attribute which (unaccountable as it is to me) made the ruling party choose him as electoral "magic ingredient" to stay in power in 2019. Now, the only place he gets warmly welcomed, without being contained in a tightly controlled bubble (hard hat & hi vis, in sympathiser's factories) is Kyiv.

There are stories (spin/placemen/non-resident media owners) in the press that he will be waiting for a comeback as the saviour of his party - if so, the prospects for our benighted country gets worse at every turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                            There are stories (spin/placemen/non-resident media owners) in the press that he will be waiting for a comeback as the saviour of his party - if so, the prospects for our benighted country gets worse at every turn.
                            Seems possible that we're all going to be trussed up anyway!

Comment

The nauseating sight of the disgraced PM Boris Johnson crouching down gloating over a plaque in Kyiv with his name on it sums up everything about the man.

JR

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                                Foreign political leaders view him as a joke and now irrelevant. Somewhat (?) reviled at home. He's used to being popular, warmly regarded - the crucial attribute which (unaccountable as it is to me) made the ruling party choose him as electoral "magic ingredient" to stay in power in 2019. Now, the only place he gets warmly welcomed, without being contained in a tightly controlled bubble (hard hat & hi vis, in sympathiser's factories) is Kyiv.

Disastrous thought the prospects are here, ( and the coming energy rises are going to be an absolute hammer blow to the post lockdown economy at both personal and corporate level) things look grim in the short term for the entire western world.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X