Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC announces World Service cutbacks

The BBC has announced deep cuts to its World Service output that will result in the loss of hundreds of jobs, saying it has been forced to act by the government’s ongoing licence fee freeze.

Corporation to end production of radio output in 10 languages, including Chinese, Hindi and Arabic, as it blames licence fee freeze

A retrograde step IMV, but a direct result of Government funding policy going back to 2010 and Osborne's austerity policies.

Comment

Weird that they're cutting Persian and Arabic, perhaps the most politically important broadcasts.

Comment

Last I recall , the World Service received Foreign Office funding, at least for services important to the country's interest. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the budget has been shifted to the BBC (like free Licences for the over 75s) as part of the charter review process where they started early stages of weakening the BBC (break up/privatisation to follow).

If so, then its the BBC following through on the consequences of the government's actions. A great shame, of course (but then, there is probably a lot more destruction of our settled values and services to come before we can have an election).

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
          Last I recall , the World Service received Foreign Office funding, at least for services important to the country's interest. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the budget has been shifted to the BBC (like free Licences for the over 75s) as part of the charter review process where they started early stages of weakening the BBC (break up/privatisation to follow).

If so, then its the BBC following through on the consequences of the government's actions. A great shame, of course (but then, there is probably a lot more destruction of our settled values and services to come before we can have an election).

Comment

Working...
          X