No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balance within the BBC

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    And we can apparently afford all those BBC presenters listed as having salaries in excess of £150Kp.a. none of whom is a composer ha ha ha! The prospect that Gary Lineker is more expensive than BBC singers surely speaks volumes for itself...
    ...and I hope that he is sacked for his outrageous comments about proposals to tackle illegal immigration. This would be a saving I would wholeheartedly endorse!

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
    ...and I hope that he is sacked for his outrageous comments about proposals to tackle illegal immigration.
    It's the proposals that are outrageous, not his comments.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post

Comment

Comment

And they are not illegal until they have gone through the relevant determining processes and had their asylum/refugee status agreed or rejected.

Comment

Agreed. GL tweeted the comments privately - not via the BBC.

Comment

For Twitter users, a salutary and eloquent warning:

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Agreed. GL tweeted the comments privately - not via the BBC.
                He might well have done but the BBC’s social media guidelines don’t distinguish between the two in any meaningful way. So it’s question of whether a high profile TV sports presenter is allowed to offer public opinion on a matter of intense political controversy and if , in doing so , he brings his employer into disrepute. I suspect that there are many people within the BBC who believe he shouldn’t be allowed to express opinions on this matter . That’s certainly what the BBC social media guidelines say. Many think that in doing so he has bought the organisation at the very least into an unwelcome political firing line. He is perfectly entitled to the freedom to say what he likes but not as a high profile BBC contracted employee. I might add that I also suspect that quite a lot of people who think he should go might well agree with what he’s saying . But that’s not the point.

As it happens I reckon the high-ups are praying it’ll all blow over.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                  For Twitter users, a salutary and eloquent warning:

https://twitter.com/tanjabueltmann/s...7lp00O9QkktiLw
                  Dangerous, inflammatory language and support for discriminatory policies need to be called out, wherever they occur.
                  But the liberal media can be a bit selective , sadly. The non liberal media are beyond help .

Today, a sizeable proportion of Conservative MPs are set to rebel against the Government’s Plan B measures to stop the spread of the Omicron Covid variant. Although the casus belli are new, many of their objections are familiar — demands including vaccine passports for public venues with a more stringent requirement of three-dose vaccination from the new year, rather than the early draft of two doses, have irked many of them. So have edicts to work from home, mandatory mask wearing at public events and a suspicion that more restrictive lockdowns might be looming.

If trials proved they were safe, I would vaccinate every child old enough to receive it, as a condition of receiving a state education

( great policy that worked out well….)

Plenty more of that stuff in places like the Independent over the last couple of years.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                    As it happens I reckon the high-ups are praying it’ll all blow over.
                    Of course they will, otherwise they have to choose between unknown retribution from the government or sacking GL. What a dilemma!

Might be worth hiving off the more recent posts on to a separate thread?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Funny how the BBC is obsessed with Lineker - this just suits the Government - yet I do not hear the BBC reporting on the strong criticism from the Board of Deputies of British Jews, Joan Salter the Holocaust survivor who made the same point to Braverman in January or Alf Dubs brought here on the Kindertransport - wonder if the steer is coming from the three Tories running the BBC- Sharp,Davie and Gibb.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        Funny how the BBC is obsessed with Lineker - this just suits the Government - yet I do not hear the BBC reporting on the strong criticism from the Board of Deputies of British Jews, Joan Salter the Holocaust survivor who made the same point to Braverman in January or Alf Dubs brought here on the Kindertransport - wonder if the steer is coming from the three Tories running the BBC- Sharp,Davie and Gibb.
                        It’s because Gary Lineker is very famous and 99 per cent of people have never heard of any one else on that list. And that’s our contemporary culture folks…

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Also "funny" is the way outspoken support for Sunak's policy today is coming from far-right figures like Salvini in Italy and Zemmour in France.

Comment

The introduction to today's Politics Live BBC Two would suggest that the Beeb is planning on keeping schtum on the subject during the programme. We shall see. As to the various government ministers considering Linneker's comment objectionable, if the cap fits (which it does) learn to wear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                              It’s because Gary Lineker is very famous and 99 per cent of people have never heard of any one else on that list. And that’s our contemporary culture folks…

Comment

Working...
                              X