No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary Robinson at Free Thinking

10pm tonight:

"Mary Robinson delivers the opening lecture of the BBC Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival 2012, arguing that women leaders are better placed than men to sort out the crises of the 21st Century. "

Arguing? What's to argue about?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    10pm tonight:

"Mary Robinson delivers the opening lecture of the BBC Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival 2012, arguing that women leaders are better placed than men to sort out the crises of the 21st Century. "

Comment

Okay, Mary, you can start with the Eurozone crisis

Hang on, there's a woman leader (and a few men leaders) already working on that one

Comment

Should be interesting!

Comment

10pm tonight:

That's the last thing we need ... a sexist moderator ...

Comment

Yes, it must be a blow to Cro Magnon career prospects
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

i thought she did well until the first question from the moderator about 'essentialism' and the therefore 'intrinsic' virtues of women ... versus men ... an arument that will last the legth of time ...

what is more evidence based is to argue for man and women; not men or women ...[she sounded like the latter but probably intends the former

the case for men and women is simple, it leads to better decisions across domains .... adds considerable variety of thought feeling and evidence to the consideration of issues and is better overall for offspring ... felt to me like she was trapped into an or argument not an and discussion where the evidence from organisation and sociological studies would be on her side ...
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

I didn't hear anything I hadn't heard in the past 40 years...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I didn't hear anything I hadn't heard in the past 40 years...
                  Could you give some examples?

Comment

Could you give some examples?
                    I didn' hear anything new, so the example is the whole talk, together with the questions after.

Comment

er the conspiracy to ensure women occupy important or pivotal roles in the UN consideration of climate change was news to me ... good news too!
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                      X