My best non-fiction books this year have been .....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul Ormerod's "Positive Linking". Like this distinguished economist's previous works, Butterfly Economics and Why Most Things Fail, this book unpicks how the world really works as opposed to how political and social planners would like it to or think it does.

Comment

well i shall not read it this year but Genes, Cells and Brains by Hilary Rose and Steven Rose looks especially interesting ...
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

... looking accusingly at me on the shelves are books I promised I wd read in 2012 and never did -

Postwar: A history of Europe since 1945. Tony Judt
        Journey of Man : A Genetic Odyssey. Spencer Wells

Meanwhile I have been happily reading and re-reading:

The Face of Battle: a Study of Agincourt, Waterloo, and the Somme. John Keegan
        The Footnote: a Curious History. Anthony Grafton
        The Familiar Letter in the Eighteenth Century. Anderson, Daghlian, Ehrenpreis.
        The Whig Supremacy 1714-1760 [vol xi Oxford History of England]. Basil Williams

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          I trust this comes with footnotes. It's meta-madness!

Meanwhile, over at The Guardian website's homepage sidebar, Dr. Y.U. Thropplenoggin prepares to give a masterclass on how to give a masterclass on something.

Comment

... :

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
            I trust this comes with footnotes. It's meta-madness!

:
            ... o, it does - lots of footnotes.

But also serious discussion of those Masters of the Footnote - Ranke, de Thou, Bayle

Comment

... looking accusingly at me on the shelves are books I promised I wd read in 2012 and never did -

Postwar: A history of Europe since 1945. Tony Judt
              Journey of Man : A Genetic Odyssey. Spencer Wells
              To some, Spencer Wells is rather better known for his grip on more slippery subjects

Comment

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                the wilful destruction of fine buildings and townscapes even before the attentions of the Luftwaffe.
                And after

I spend far too much time here, & have rather too many started & unfinished books, to read anything I would want to show off about . Anything I've read has been mainly technical books about print-making & ceramics. The RA book 'Bronze' looked good, especially as the exhibition was very good, but it's so enourmous that I doubt that I'd do more than dip into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  And after

I spend far too much time here, & have rather too many started & unfinished books, to read anything I would want to show off about . Anything I've read has been mainly technical books about print-making & ceramics. The RA book 'Bronze' looked good, especially as the exhibition was very good, but it's so enourmous that I doubt that I'd do more than dip into it.
                  A cracking exhibition, Flossie

I'm hoping that Santa will listen to my pleas re the catalogue

Comment

I rather regret not buying the paperback version at the RA - they don't seem to list that or the hardback in their on-line shop. Still, perhaps it will be available at that rather useful bookshop near South Ken station.

Comment

All Hell Let Loose - Max Hastings.
                      Last edited by gurnemanz; 20-12-12, 01:05.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder about Shirer's engrossing book, I wonder if it features at all in the reading for the history of the period that is taught these days in school.
                        Food in England by Dorothy Hartley is the most interesting and informative book I've ever read on the subject. I also enjoyed Christopher Hill's Puritanism and Revolution, a book I bought years ago and only just got round to reading.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                          Thanks for the reminder about Shirer's engrossing book, I wonder if it features at all in the reading for the history of the period that is taught these days in school. .....
                          another Shirer which I admire, and from which I by chance read a couple of chapters, is his The Collapse of the Third Republic. An Inquiry into the Fall of France in 1940 .

(And it occurred to me only recently that France's 3rd Republic and the Deutsches Reich [Kaiserreich, Weimar, Third Reich] are a kind of parallel universes: 3rd Republic 1871-1940; German Reich 1871-1945.)

Comment

Working...
                          X