X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

German Season - R4X programmes on Walter Benjamin

An alert to two very good programmes as part of the Beeb's German Season on Radio 4 Extra today. Firstly there is a talk by George Steiner on Benjamin:

George Steiner investigates the life of the prophetic German Jewish critic Walter Benjamin

Secondly, there is a programme presented by Michael Rosen on Benjamin's radio talks for children in the years just before Hitler came to power, the texts for which have I think been recently translated. This I actually found even more fascinating than the Steiner talk (the programme does include some quotations from that talk). The extracts from the talks sound poetic, imaginative, elliptical, questioning and it makes one wonder what they must have sounded like to their young German audience:

Michael Rosen discovers Walter Benjamin's radio works for children. Read by Henry Goodman.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... thanks for this.

How I wish arcadesproject was still with us.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... thanks for this.
      Seconded.

Indeed.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        Yes - he's greatly missed.

Going back to the Benjamin radio talks, I was thinking what imagination and courage of the radio producer/director of the German radio station to commission such work and broadcast it for children. I cannot think of any parallel in children's broadcasting here, certainly when I was a child, and I suspect since then (though there were good children's radio serials). And being the work of someone who was, as Steiner said, always an outsider, it would have struck a particular chord with those children who themselves felt alienated at home or school.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

I've just liastened to the two links, and it strikes me that, were such broadcasts to be put out today, yes even today, there would be cries of brainwashing, propaganda and warping young minds coming from reactionary quarters.

I was reminded that John Berger's Ways of Seeing, which made a huge and lasting impression on me in my mid-twenties, was strongly influenced by Benjamin's ideas.

These programmes would have passed me by, so thanks very much, aeolium.

Comment

Working...
          X