• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Re: Alan Howard (1938-2015)

Sad to hear about the death of Alan Howard on the 1 o'clock news. An RSC stalwart, I recall his striking stage presence along with close attention to clear enunciation. His early work, Benedick in 'Much Ado...' demonstrated his qualities as a leading man and I particularly enjoyed his follow-through as Achilles in Troilus & Cressida and, a surprising discovery for me, Lussurioso in Tourneur's The Revenger's Tragedy; consolidated his career as Hamlet and a later Lear. The Wars of the Roses cycle, 60s and 70s, also enhanced his reputation. However, my abiding memory will always be his double as Theseus and Oberon in Peter Brook's RSC production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" - not only in a wood outside Athens - but a demonstration of the potency and sheer magic of the theatre. RIP
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Indeed. A major RSC figure - that unmistakable voice and pronunciation.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I saw him a lot in his days at the RSC, but what stick in my memory most are his Richart II & Richard III.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
        • Dec 2010

I have been away and have only just seen this news. A very versatile actor, he frequently seemed to take on roles that looked unlikely on paper but in which he triumphed. He was a fixture for much of my life, and I was surprised to learn his age (but I am frequently surprised by mine). Even now I can hear that magnificent gravel-filled voice, and visualise his appearance in so many RSC productions.

The one role that stands out for me was in C.P.Taylor's "Good" as a mild academic drawn into the Nazi party and rising within it. Putting on the uniform he was transformed from weed into authority-figure (Brecht thought of that first, of course, in Galileo). An American friend seeing it with me suggested that her countrymen believe great actors are somehow touched by God: they just did not allow for the years of sheer grinding hard work that went into it. Alan Howard epitomised this - I cannot recall a poor performance. I am thankful that I saw him so many times.
        Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 27-02-15, 15:57. Reason: syntax, as usual

Comment

Working...
        X