Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drama on Radio 3

I've just been wandering about the corridors of Broadcasting House and I discovered a figurative piece of paper pinned to the Radio 3 New Commissions figurative door: "What we’re looking for: Classic Plays reinvented for 21st century audio". We know all about the fondness Radio 3 has for revamping the classics, which isn't always what one wants and doesn't always work; so it got me thinking

When a film company buys the rights to a novel, the novelist generally gives up the right to a say on how the novel will be adapted for the screen. It's then accepted that the novel is one art work, the film is a different one. Which is fine because whatever they do with the film, the book remains to be read as the author intended.

The problem with adapting a classic stage work for radio to make it a 'new' drama, is that the original is seldom available to the general public to see. Is there a conveniently local theatre in the UK currently performing Ibsen's Brand? Unlikely. So if Radio 3 decides to commission a 'new' version it doesn't fill that gap if it provides something different from another playwright's mind.

A new theatre production of Brand can innovate creatively with, say, imaginative staging - not open for an audio-only production. So which is a more valuable service for Radio 3 to provide: a 'straight' production which brings a classic work to a large audience who otherwise wouldn't have an opportunity to encounter it, possibly ever? Or a probably short-lived new version destined to be forgotten in a few years? One can read the play, but the play isn't meant to be read whereas a novel is.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Yes, you are right in so many ways....I have attempted to listen to several such mangled classic plays, only for modern parlance and audio masking side effects and music....so, off it goes....last one was that play about the women of Troy about 8 weeks ago....I actually find the programmes about plays to be more to my taste....though modern academics do lay their research and retrospection on a bit thick....
    bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      though modern academics do lay their research and retrospection on a bit thick....
      Oh, eighth ...

Another thought: I just happened to press my ear casually to that same door as I was passing and I heard this comment:

"We need plays which feel like a centre-piece of Radio 3’s weekend and productions which will engage all listeners – not just the dedicated radio drama fans.​"

To me this encapsulates what I no longer find interesting about vast swathes of Radio 3: everything is designed to appeal to everyone. A 'dedicated radio drama fan' may well want to hear Ibsen's Brand, possibly never having had the opportunity to see/hear a production before, possibly only having read it. So Henry Gibson's reworking of Ibsen's Brand for the 21st century won't cut it; whereas for those who aren't dedicated radio drama fans, or dedicated drama fans, won't necessarily know Ibsen or Brand and just like a play to listen to on Sunday evening.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

...or ever heard of Ibsens : Brand (as, I)....So,
        bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Oh, eighth ...

Another thought: I just happened to press my ear casually to that same door as I was passing and I heard this comment:

"We need plays which feel like a centre-piece of Radio 3’s weekend and productions which will engage all listeners – not just the dedicated radio drama fans.​"

To me this encapsulates what I no longer find interesting about vast swathes of Radio 3: everything is designed to appeal to everyone. A 'dedicated radio drama fan' may well want to hear Ibsen's Brand, possibly never having had the opportunity to see/hear a production before, possibly only having read it. So Henry Gibson's reworking of Ibsen's Brand for the 21st century won't cut it; whereas for those who aren't dedicated radio drama fans, or dedicated drama fans, won't necessarily know Ibsen or Brand and just like a play to listen to on Sunday evening.
          French Frank - is this satire or are you repeating an actual event ? Did you really eavesdrop on a BBC production meeting or am I missing something ? The reason I ask is that a lot of teams there used to go to a huge amount effort to keep things confidential . Not from the public but to stop other BBC teams ripping off their ideas obviously… The new meeting rooms in the New BH are all glass (to save space ) and thus eavesdropping is sadly impossible . In the old BH you couldn’t hear anything as the walls and doors were so thick.

oh I get it - you’re quoting from the commissioning brief . Those things have the shelf life of a milk carton . Next week they’ll want something different. I mean just look at the success of The Motive and The Cue ….a play about two dead actors making a 600 year old play.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
            oh I get it - you’re quoting from the commissioning brief . Those things have the shelf life of a milk carton . Next week they’ll want something different. I mean just look at the success of The Motive and The Cue ….a play about two dead actors making a 600 year old play.
            Oh, helders!

I'm not sure. The editorial brief is already out for tender, isn't it? Won't the indies aim to please? The idea of aiming for 'the centre of the mass' and reaching out as far as possible in all directions does seem to have been an R3 strategy of late. The idea of 'engaging all listeners' seems impossible to achieve unless different plays aim for either 'dedicated drama fans' or 'not dedicated fans'. I don't think both can be served simultaneously.

Comment

What I did approve of, however:

"What we’re not looking for this time: Adaptations from novels:" (As if there just aren't enough good plays)

Comment

Oh, helders!

I'm not sure. The editorial brief is already out for tender, isn't it? Won't the indies aim to please? The idea of aiming for 'the centre of the mass' and reaching out as far as possible in all directions does seem to have been an R3 strategy of late. The idea of 'engaging all listeners' seems impossible to achieve unless different plays aim for either 'dedicated drama fans' or 'not dedicated fans'. I don't think both can be served simultaneously.
                If it’s anything like telly by the time they get the proposals in the policy will have changed.Call me a cynic ..
                Yes everyone wants to “engage all listeners” and indeed all viewers but I also want to play the Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto with the Berlin Phil , be welcomed heartily by St Peter at the Pearly Gates and lead in the winner of the Derby . But do you know what ? It ain’t gonna happen …

Comment

....well we all know it is the era of the podcast....or as say to myself in my kitchen the bloody frigging podcast....music....talking over music and soundscape....only to discover the first 5minutes is just the introduction and will be repeated later on....as the episode moves towards an ending with cliff hanger....blaa blaa blaa - modern life Phwaaaat....Che Guevara rolling in his grave....(shall I wiki to find mode of dispatch....naa)....onward....

....what's french frank doing thinking about R3 Plays on a Friday afternoon....and ruses ref being in BH....bizarre....
                  bong ching

Comment

....well we all know it is the era of the podcast....or as say to myself in my kitchen the bloody frigging podcast....music....talking over music and soundscape....only to discover the first 5minutes is just the introduction and will be repeated later on....as the episode moves towards an ending with cliff hanger....blaa blaa blaa - modern life Phwaaaat....Che Guevara rolling in his grave....(shall I wiki to find mode of dispatch....naa)....onward....

....what's french frank doing thinking about R3 Plays on a Friday afternoon....and ruses ref being in BH....bizarre....
                    as long as you only said it to yourself in your kitchen ….

Comment

I'm always like this on a Friday, eighth (TGIF!). No gym until Tuesday (I don't go on Bank Holidays so that's three days off)

Comment

I'm always like this on a Friday, eighth (TGIF!). No gym until Tuesday (I don't go on Bank Holidays so that's three days off)
                        I think it was the use of the word figurative that threw me off the scent but once I looked it up I realised what was going on. A propos of absolutely nothing one unfortunate consequence of open plan offices was having to listen to other teams’ production meetings. One such - on a putative TV series on contemporary sexual mores - remains amongst the most excruciating experiences of my career.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

as long as you only said it to yourself in your kitchen ….
                          ...Oh I'm very particular about locus Anton - it is impossible to specify the exact locus in the brain of these neural events​ though....
                          bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I think it was the use of the word figurative that threw me off the scent but once I looked it up I realised what was going on.
                            There used to be a lot more useful information available but I think they cottoned on that we had found a (figurative) key to the storeroom. They cut down the amount of stuff available online without having to declare your credentials.

Comment

There used to be a lot more useful information available but I think they cottoned on that we had found a (figurative) key to the storeroom. They cut down the amount of stuff available online without having to declare your credentials.
                              You’re crediting them with a level of organisational ability that simply doesn’t tally with the known facts. Honestly they are so snowed under with thousands of scripts they haven’t got time for that level of tinkering.

Comment

Working...
                              X