No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composer Hans Zimmer becomes co-owner of BBC Maida Vale studios

Vale, ​​Maida Vale.
    The Oscar-winning composer buys the historic complex with the producers of Love Actually and Cats.

Unfortunately BBC programme links change, so that one is not available. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned or delighted about this bit of news, to be honest.

Comment

The BBC link still works for me. Here is a Guardian article on the sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
        The BBC link still works for me. Here is a Guardian article on the sale.
        Indeed.

This used to be one of my favourite venues.

Not sure how this is going to turn out - hopefully seems OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I'm just wondering if I should be concerned or delighted about this bit of news, to be honest.
          Hans Zimmer may be a composer of unsubtle and thudding film music, but I think he's generally a good egg. I can think of far worse people to be making decisions on what happens to Maida Vale Studios. Anyway, having spent many personally crucial moments there back in the day (for example when Roger W arranged to have me and the Elision Ensemble use MV2 for an entire week to record a CD, or when my first orchestral composition was premiered at an Invitation Concert in MV1) I got to know the whole labyrinth quite well. It was always a great pleasure to work there but I can see how bringing it up to date would require more investment than the BBC is interested in providing.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
            Hans Zimmer may be a composer of unsubtle and thudding film music, but I think he's generally a good egg. I can think of far worse people to be making decisions on what happens to Maida Vale Studios. Anyway, having spent many personally crucial moments there back in the day (for example when Roger W arranged to have me and the Elision Ensemble use MV2 for an entire week to record a CD, or when my first orchestral composition was premiered at an Invitation Concert in MV1) I got to know the whole labyrinth quite well. It was always a great pleasure to work there but I can see how bringing it up to date would require more investment than the BBC is interested in providing.
            ….. Which is EXACTLY what it should be doing as it’s the one of the few unique justifications for the licence fee . Having spent a few months there decades ago (mainly doing fairly humdrum work like mic checks in the BBCSO studio but also a lot of chamber music and contemporary music) , I don’t think we’ll see such an oasis of classical recording (and Jazz and rock ) creativity again in this country. A terrible shame. I’m still mourning the desecration of the Broadcasting House Concert Hall - another temple of the arts . Money talks and art is supposed to fall silent. I wish the new planned Stratford studios well. I hope they don’t go the way of the planned White City music studios (never happened).

Comment

I know us 'oldsters' tend to reminisce about the 'good old days' so I'm not going to disapoint! After winnin g a place to the RAM in the early 1960s I must have spent a substantial portion of my time there in MV Studio One, initially at free concert recordings, then page-turning, subsequently getting to know many admired artists. Later as a BBC contracted produced employing the Radiophonic Workshop for incidental music, then as composer having works recorded for broadcast.... they were unbelievable days for an aspiring musician to be able to have access to this iconic ice-skating venue! Sad to see the end of an era - but hopefully the start of a new one.

Comment

Working...
              X