Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Thinking - Postwar Germany

Forging the modern German nation from the moral and material ruins of World War II.

this looks an interesting topic, did germany have an economic miracle or was something else going on ?
    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

I'd intended listening to this programme, but as so often happens these days fell asleep, so thanks Jason for posting the link.

Comment

Was very interesting, especially how west and east germany viewed history through different perspectives and that right wing violence has been main extremist violence in germany since 45.
      Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
        Was very interesting, especially how west and east germany viewed history through different perspectives and that right wing violence has been main extremist violence in germany since 45.
        Wasn't it! Huge amounts of detail and postwar history, assessed with levels of sophisticated reasoning and understanding that seems sadly absent on programmes on Britain of this kind. I've linked the programme for a neighbour, who happens to be a 36-year old German, and very interested in these matters as an "exile". The only thing missing was mention of the Stockhausen/Henze generation of composers who came up in the late 40s/early 50s, and even of their still living successors like Lachenmann, who had very interesting things to say about German culture and the rise of anti-immigrant extremism in a programme I taped back in 1990, and which included Stockhausen on the subject: he was pretty dismissive of the phenomenon and like most of the contributors to this programme did not see it as a resuscitation of Nazism.

Comment

My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
          X