Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernstein night on BBC Four TV

A range of programmes, largely repeats but some from the relatively distant past, on BBC Four later, stretching from 7pm to 2.30am.

I remember watching the LB Mahler documentary The Little Drummer Boy when broadcast years ago, and getting a lot out of it. I shall probably re-watch.

But the real nugget for me is the Bernard Levin interview with him, buried away at 1am.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    A range of programmes, largely repeats but some from the relatively distant past, on BBC Four later, stretching from 7pm to 2.30am.

I remember watching the LB Mahler documentary The Little Drummer Boy when broadcast years ago, and getting a lot out of it. I shall probably re-watch.

But the real nugget for me is the Bernard Levin interview with him, buried away at 1am.
    I shall record 'Des Knaben Wunderhorn' which I notice was produced by Humphrey Burton.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I shall record 'Des Knaben Wunderhorn' which I notice was produced by Humphrey Burton.
      Recorder also set. I am very fond of his piano version of Wunderhorn Lieder where he accompanies Christa Ludwig and Walter Berry (who were married at the time - 1968 - but divorced a couple of years later).

Comment

Despite the distractions of Levin’s constant off-camera “mmm-hmmms” and Lenny fiddling with his cigarettes and cigarette-holder, lots of interest here. I hadn’t appreciated Fritz Reiner’s role in LB’s training… The illustration of Reiner’s style of instruction was pretty terrifying

Comment

Despite the distractions of Levin’s constant off-camera “mmm-hmmms” and Lenny fiddling with his cigarettes and cigarette-holder, lots of interest here. I hadn’t appreciated Fritz Reiner’s role in LB’s training… The illustration of Reiner’s style of instruction was pretty terrifying
          Thanks for the reminder, I'd missed all these specials.

Comment

Was that in the Levin interview? If so, about how far in - in minutes/seconds. I'd like to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Was that in the Levin interview? If so, about how far in - in minutes/seconds. I'd like to see that.
              Funnily enough I didn’t make a note of the minutes / seconds - about halfway through maybe? It’s less than half an hour long so maybe just give it all a watch?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Nick's right, ~12:40 "Reiner being a very demanding, didactic pedagogue..." on iPlayer.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                  Nick's right, ~12:40 "Reiner being a very demanding, didactic pedagogue..." on iPlayer.
                  Not the only Hungarian émigré to give his players a hard time!

Comment

Working...
                  X