Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tryangle

On several occasions Pepys, who enjoyed music and seems to have played several instruments, describes his wife's companion Ashwell playing the 'Tryangle' well. Is that the Triangle as we know it or was there a different form of the instrument in the 17th century?

I'd like to have a go at playing the try-angle, to see what it was like.

Comment

James Blades traced the triangle back to 14th-century Italy, and it was associated with the later fashion for 'Turkish' music. It's difficult to imagine it having much vogue a s solo instrument, though. Some early spinets were triangular in shape; I wonder if this is what Pepys saw.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
        On several occasions Pepys, who enjoyed music and seems to have played several instruments, describes his wife's companion Ashwell playing the 'Tryangle' well. Is that the Triangle as we know it or was there a different form of the instrument in the 17th century?
        Grove has an illustration from a 15th-c. manuscript of a band of musicians, among them a burly, black-bearded fellow quite clearly playing the triangle. It was beginning to be used in orchestras from the early 18th-c (saith Grove).
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          James Blades traced the triangle back to 14th-century Italy, and it was associated with the later fashion for 'Turkish' music. It's difficult to imagine it having much vogue a s solo instrument, though. Some early spinets were triangular in shape; I wonder if this is what Pepys saw.
          Well done, smittims. From the OED:

1661 I sent to my house, by my Lord's order, his shipp and Triangle virginall.
          S. Pepys, Diary 14 June (1970) vol. II. 121

1663 This day, my Tryangle (which was put in tune yesterday) did please me very well.
          S. Pepys, Diary 18 March (1971) vol. IV. 79
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Many thanks for your help with this.

Comment

Working...
            X